Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:53 pm 
Hello folks, If you are getting to the keys anytime soon here is information to help you get the best of your kayaking. Most trips are 4 hours and under. I have a klepper A1 and any trip over 4 hours becomes torture. Hope you enjoy. Check under name capedory for the trips. I have a link for one included. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAKV--WRrM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Why are trips over four hours torture?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 am 
john allsop wrote:
Why are trips over four hours torture?

Because Kleppers don't come standard with motor :lol:

A lot of sweat if you want to cover some distance in those 4 hours, especially when it's warm and humid... 28" wide and relatively short boat better sails than it paddles.

If you check Everglades Challenge logs, for example, only occasional gonzo dudes bring wide-beam boats, unless it falls into Class 3 (kayaks and canoes with large sail). EC is not about speed - making it to finish line is already challenge enough (that's why it's called so). Not to say that narrow folders like FC prevail there, because they are not. If it's class 2 (expedition kayaks, maximum 1 sq.m sail allowed) , it's almost inevitably composite kayak 23"-25" wide, with 28" wide Seawind being the widest (28" is SO wide that many people use it in Class 3 which includes sailing kayaks and canoes with very large sail). But Seawind is longer than AE1 (Seawind is comparable to AE1 SL or LH MK1, faster boat than AE1, but still a lot of sweat, I had it).

See, they don't allow motors in EC ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 am 
Hay Folks, Trips over 4 hours are a torture because of a design flaw IMHO. The rudder peddles are in a fixed position on the floor boards which makes the seat adjustments about unless in setting up a position for your body. The peddles will only move forward up to point and then they hit a hinge. So with average size legs I end up sitting with my knees outside of the cockpit. I tried about everything in the adjustment department. Nada. I did find a compromise in that I have taken out the back seat rest and put in a camp chair or a studium chair. I added webbing to rib three, on each side, that runs aft and joins at the back of the camp chair. Looks like a joke but now I can get my knees below the cockpit and brace my body and get a good stroke. When i am moving I am not sightseeing and am moving the entire time and enjoy a medium headwind an opposing current. All within moderation of course. I did have a buckle break on the camp chair the other day and had to paddle the old way and I would say I got 20 min before I had pain in lower back and legs.
I get to use my boat at least 2-3 times a week until the heat get too much which is about End May. I think a lot of people use the boat once a month and have this problem and put the boat away till the next time which is postponed due to the discomfort. Its a shame. All the work and engineering that goes into the craft and to have the seat cause that much discomfort. This is not just on the Klepper. My BMW motorcycle stock seat is a torture on long trips and it is accepted practice to get a replacement seat when you buy a new bike.
I do love the Klepper and BMW. Would not have it any other way. When I am in choppy water, which is frequent, I dont have to worry about beam waves and how to plan my escape. If fact I have never taken on water.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:43 pm 

Kleppers moulded seat was nothing but torture untill i added a "Swoosh pad with back rest" probably the pad on it,s own would be ok, but it worked for me. Up here of course we don,t get the heat or humidity for example this morning it was minus 31c although it did warm up to minus 10c. I also wondered why we have such poor seats although there are some "add on,s" that look good for sit on top,s with thick foam seats. I can,t remember the make but the sit on top site, topkayaker.net. has some but not all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:01 am 

I put the Long Haul comfort seat in my AII. I can use it in the middle single position or I put it in the back sometimes for sailing. I think it's a much more comfortable seat. I was able to mount mine with just straps connected to the ribs and stringers as I didn't want to drill any holes in the floor boards.

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP