Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:50 am 
http://www.seatguru.com/ - not really a "favorite place", but often inevitable step to it.

I haven't seen this gem before. No affiliation, - as usual. There is no need to Google for "ABZ Air carrier contract domestic" etc. Pick your airline from the left menu, and click on the Baggage tab in the navigation bar on the top. The info appears to be current, and after you've opened a particular airline's info, any link will take you to the airline's own website (or click at the More Info at the bottom of the page).
I would suggest to click on this "More Info", as you might discover something interesting. For example, for Continental the Seatguru says $25 overweight surcharge, and $80 for extra piece of luggage, and this is true. But if you will not take this for granted, and open the Continental home page, and go one step back to "Baggage --> Excess baggage", it will say that for Caribbean, for example, each extra piece is $100, and overweight surcharge they will tell you if you phone them (and I have a gut feeling, this is not because it's less than $25). It will also say that Continental will not allow bags over 70 lbs, even though Seatguru says that it does, so the brief info at the Seatguru is not 100% current.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:33 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

That's a good site to keep handy Alex, thanks for posting it. When we traveled to Baja in March, our Kahuna packs weighed around 52 lb. Try as we might, it was hard to keep that weight down. Of course we had paddles, pfd's and a host of safety pieces in them.

We each had ( my wife and I ) two check in and a carry on. One boat, one extra bag ( clothes, snorkle stuff, sleeping bags, etc ) and the carry on.

American had no problems with the bag being a little over weight as long as we didn't abuse it.

BTW, on our return trip, one boat did not come through baggage claim :shock: . A few hours later they brought it to our door with no problems :roll:

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:06 pm 
Just came back with Condor (Thomas Cook) from Vancouver, B.C.

Condor allows 2 pieces of 21 kilos each.

Had 1 x 25 kilos (Kahuna) 1 x 21 kilos (campingstuff) on check in at Linz airport, the scale jammed at 16 kilos! such luck!

On the way back, the big bag had 35 kilos, the (slightly) smaller one had 25 kilos, the attendant on Vancouver airport did not even bat an eyelid and tagged the bags!

I guess, it all depends on pure luck and the person on the other side of the counter!

servus

Willi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:12 pm 
Willi, what did you smuggle back into Austria (14 kg weight increase of your bags on the way back?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:41 am 
My luggage always weighs more on the way back from a long trip. Not by 14 kilos, still 1-3 kg more. May be - salt, plus humidity retained due to the salt presence. Hard to explain that much increase of weight with these factors, but this is what have observed.

Quote:
I guess, it all depends on pure luck and the person on the other side of the counter

To a degree. My understanding is that attendant in Vancouver still works for Condor airline, though 35 kg is very close to popular 32 kg per bag of overseas destinations (many of them still have 32 kg limit), so he might've been tired, and forgot. 3 kg they sometimes forgive you, - but not always. I was harassed for excessive 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) more than once.

Only once I've been so lucky, or the attendant had a mercy on me, and charged me only $25 (fee for 12 kg of excessive weight over 23 kg=50 lbs) , rather than $50 for 23 kg of excessive weight, which was exactly the case with my 46kg bag (100 lbs). Living at the border and being not a kayaker, he couldn't imagine somebody going to solo kayaking trip to Mexico. People can't comprehend that desert is often a safer place than big cities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:23 pm 
After visits on various places like MEC, Ocean River, Ecomarine, Capters, to name but a few, i ended up with lots of North Water items, a new wet suits, a new stove, books ...............

The problem is, we dont have that kind of nice goodies and toys on this side of the big pond, the us and canadian $ are quite low to the Euro, hence the excess baggage.

who can resist a good deal? me never!

:P

Latest news from campgrounds on Lake Constance: 50 campers got robbed so far, they woke up dizzy without their valuables, somebody had sprayed a kind of narcotic gas into the tents and trailers!

mind you, this happened not in a 3rd world country but in the middle of europe! go figure!

i rather deal with nocturnal bear visits in remote places!

servus

Willi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:16 pm 
westcoastwill wrote:
Latest news from campgrounds on Lake Constance: 50 campers got robbed so far, they woke up dizzy without their valuables, somebody had sprayed a kind of narcotic gas into the tents and trailers!
mind you, this happened not in a 3rd world country but in the middle of europe! go figure!

Willi, this reminds me of certain theatre incident in Moscow, a few years back. Would it be that they used the same technique, but this time abroad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:16 pm 
And it sounds pretty high-tech to be used on campers. What'd they get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:53 am 
gregn wrote:
Willi, this reminds me of certain theatre incident in Moscow, a few years back. Would it be that they used the same technique, but this time abroad?

In Moscow it was SWAT unit (or whatever theya re called in Russia) that used a gas on terrorists. This time - sounds like Romaina - it was "terrorists" that used gas.