Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:09 pm 
paddler

This yellow Kahuna (not Big Kahuna) was purchased in 2001. It has been bagged or garaged always so is in good shape. I live in Cary, NC.

The tape is coming off the seams on the sea sock and spray skirt. Skirt never used because I used the kayak on flat water only; sea sock never got wet. The body appears to be in excellent shape. I just took it apart, and all joints are working properly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Pokey on Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:09 am 
paddler

I wonder how many people have pm'ed this person. I did and was told I was the first one, so he would sell the kayak to me. He sounded very sincere and sent me more pictures of the kayak. After a few days to sign up for a new Paypal account and getting a big box to ship the kayak, he sent me a Paypal invoice yesterday, I clicked on the link but did not sign in to pay the invoice. My instinct told me something was wrong, and just to make sure I check my Paypal account and did not see the invoice from him. I rechecked his link and notice the http: instead of the more secure https: . This sounded like a great deal and the guy is very sincere but I think I will pass on it. Just wondering if anyone else has the same experience. Mods, please monitor this thread and notify people who have contacted him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:35 am 
paddler

Twiny, I did just as you told me. I do not understand what is wrong. I sent the invoice (0001) to you from my new PayPal account. Any assistance would be appreciated. The kayak is boxed and ready to go. It it more like a "not knowing" alert. I apologize for any problem I have caused.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 am 
faltbootemeister

Paypal has purchase protection.
I hope you can work this out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm 
paddler

It's not a Paypal scam in which you pay for the goods via Paypal and then the seller does not ship you the item. You are covered by Paypal purchase protection if you never receive the item. It is a phishing scam when they send you a fake invoice, when you log in they will get your account password and everything. It is my practice that I never log in to any account from a link in an email. I always go to the web site and log in there. When I logged into my Paypal account, I did not see the money request from him. That tells me the invoice is fake. I could be wrong, but better be safe than sorry. If he is legitimate, when he sent me an invoice with his Paypal account, I should see the money request in my account, not just from his email.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 pm 
paddler

Twiny, I have no idea why PayPal's link did not have an "s" following the http. This is the first time I have used it. I would be suspicious, too. They told me the invoice had been sent. This is all I know.

Let's forget about PayPal. How about I mail you the kayak, and you pay me when you receive it. This shifts the blind faith to my end.

I priced it at $700 as a wild guess, because I have not been keeping up with kayak prices. I don't use it, and I wanted someone to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 pm 
paddler

Pokey,

Like I said, you have been very sincere and everything about this deal is solid, the pictures, the emails and so on. I don't know why I can not see the invoice in my Paypal account, and as such, I rather forgo this deal than taking a risk. If you are Ok with sending the kayak first then obviously I will be glad to accept the deal and if we complete the transaction, I will come back here and clear your name.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:54 pm 
faltbootemeister

Please do. I love a happy ending. And that is as good and trusting an offer as you could wish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:33 pm 
paddler

The Kahuna is in the mail. FedEx Ground.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:57 pm 
paddler

I received the Kahuna today. I was still skeptical when he said "The Kahuna is in the mail. FedEx Ground", but lo and behold, a Fedex truck pulled into my driveway half an hour ago. The kayak's condition is way better than I expected. It does not look anything like a 17-year-old boat. The skin looks almost as new, no fading, no scratches. I guess I owe Dokey a big apology. This is a man of integrity, does what he said he would, and thanks to his trusting nature I did not miss out on an extremely good deal. Of course, this will not change how I approach long distance transactions. I will not log in from a link in any email. There are more scammers out there than good honest people and people like Dokey is a rarity.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:58 am 
paddler

Thank you, Twiny. I hope you have many good years of kayaking with the Kahuna. It was my favorite kayak of all times.