Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Group Kayak Sailing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:08 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just some random thoughts on kayaking and sailing as a semi-retired-but-not-dead-yet enthusiast…

I am really looking forward to the next kayak sailing adventure with a group of like-minded (which is to say, uncategorizable) kayakers and sailors. I plan to spend a week or so in Temperanceville, VA, at a place called Tall Pines in May. The site is on the peninsula that divides the Chesapeake Bay from the Atlantic, with Assateague to the east and Tangier (island) off to the West. Technically we will be in VA, but take a few steps in either direction and you will be in Maryland or Delaware.

I found the group through an introduction from Ann and Ranger Tim, a couple of other members of this message board, and attended my first outing last fall at Cedar Island, NC and the second at Trail Lakes, FL (Everglades) this winter. There is a fourth annual event that I also plan to attend in Maine this fall.

I will be forever grateful for having met Tim and Ann and, through them, a host of other people who share a love of the water, nature, and kayaks. Many of these folks are very accomplished sailors and paddlers and, in the case of Ann and Tim, they represent some pretty adventurous types as well.

The group has been around for decades and many of its “members” need all their fingers and toes to count their years participating in sail-ins together. Many, but certainly not all, are “retired” from real jobs that would test the limits of “What’s My Line” (for anyone old enough to know the old game show). Participants include a former NPS ranger, tennis pro, data base administrator and special needs teacher, engineer, motorcycle racer, well, you get the picture. There are somewhere between 15 and 50 participants at these events, with some couples, singles, others in the mix. Hah.

The only thing the participants have in common, besides a love of being on the water, is that they are warm, inviting, and generous with their considerable expertise and friendship. There are no “know-it-alls”; leadership is a group process; and the only thing that is insisted upon is a mind set and behavior of safety on the water.

I consider myself to be an very experienced paddler and camper and an aspiring adventurer. But I am a novice when it comes to sailing. I have learned more in the last year about all things considered, sailing and kayaking, than I ever could have on my own, and I am having a blast in the journey.

Part of my joy in the process is simply “messing around in boats”. Along the way I have fabricated a bunch of things that will help me enjoy the sport for, hopefully, many years to come. I have made a pair of electric hoists to store my kayaks in our garage, a travel box to transport sailing gear on my light trailer, a transom and steering mechanism for an electric motor, a couple of custom control boards for handling sail sheets, and a custom suspension system for aka/amas for single and double configs. Would be happy to share pics and plans if anyone has an interest.

Anyway, just rambling in anxious anticipation of the next trip, and thought I would share my fortunate discovery of this cool group of enthusiasts on this side of the pond.

Fair winds and following seas,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Post subject: Re: Group Kayak Sailing
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:00 pm 
faltbootemeister

Sounds great, keep us posted.
I'll be busy with bigger boats on May, but I hope to catch up with you all someday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:53 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hey Greg, wow that sounds great. I'm seriously jealous.

I'd love to join you guys but I doubt May will work for me. What are the dates?

I'd love to see your aka/ama suspension system as I'm still trying to sort something out on my end here without much success.

October is about as unlikely for me as May is... but there's always a possibility, especially if I have some advance notice.

It would also be great to finally meet you.

Cheers man.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yo Dennis!

The sail-in is right around the corner...first week of May...in Virginia. But there is another one coming in the first week of August at Cupsutic Lake in Maine which is in your back yard, right?

I will take some pics of the new rig when I get back from doing some work in Florida. Hope all is well,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:02 am 

Ahoy Greg! How are ya mate?

Well I guess I missed the trip a couple weeks ago, ha. Wouldn't have been able to make that any way, but Maine is a definite possibility.

Got any more details?

Post those pics! Easy for me to say right? hahaha. Everyone's got so much time...

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:16 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi DLee,
We stay at a campground in the Rangley Lakes region..Here are the details:
http://sailyourkayak.com/blogsails-ange ... lake-2018/

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am 

I don't think it's in the cards for me this year. But I've been watching some of your videos on YouTube. Man am I envious.

Makes me want to give the ol' BSD rig another try.

Where can I get one of those BSD pumps? My rig did not come with one.

Cheers.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:42 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi DLee,
They are for sale here:
http://sailyourkayak.com/mini-intex-dou ... -air-pump/

Folbot Greenland II