Well travelled Kahunas

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

kayakamper

Well travelled Kahunas

Post by kayakamper »

We've been lucky to be able to travel and live abroad. We are equally lucky to go with our Feathercrafts. We've not always had them when we've gone, but as you will see in this link, they're usually with us. Enjoy.

http://community.webshots.com/user/chrisandbethkayaks

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

well tavelled kahunas

Post by john allsop »

Great photo,s and interesting to see you trailer a folder. This should provide great interest in the idea as opposed to putting it on top.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Hi John, We've had that trailer for some time. It has been a great addition. Unfortunately the company that made it is out of business. There are many good ones on the market though.

We've pulled our folders as far as Vancouver B.C. and Maine ( from Atlanta ) with no ill effects. You just need to take care when strapping them down. The Feathercraft is very tough, but not completely damage proof.

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

We've pulled our folders as far as Vancouver B.C. and Maine ( from Atlanta ) with no ill effects. You just need to take care when strapping them down. The Feathercraft is very tough, but not completely damage proof.
Just out of curiosity...why do you trailer your folders ( assembled) for extended trips ?
Seems counter to the folder concept. Then again, perhaps you simply prefer SOF to
hardshell, as I do, folder or not. Though I really don't like to travel overnight or longer
with my SOF's exposed to the elements.

http://www.yostwerks.com/Skin39aa.html - Various transport options ( 7 pages)

Regards,

Tom

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Good question. I should explain. We own a VW Vanagon Westfalia camper that we live in when we travel. Putting kayaks on top is possible, but not practical because the top raises at night. Besides, my wife is short and the top is high. We could keep them inside folded when travelling, but it is compact in there already. I hesitated at hauling them opened up, but since we have done it over 15,000 miles with no significant problems, I feel more comfortable about. Feathercraft isn't kidding when Doug Simpson says they are made of robust materials.

Finally, being exposed to UV rays is another concern. We lived in the Middle East for a time ( http://www.chrisandbethtravels.com ) and, although somewhat faded, they are supple and in excellent shape. We keep them out of the sun ( garage stored ) when we are not travelling or kayaking.

BTW. your website is great! you have inspired me to consider building a folder. Now all I need is the time.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Tom,

One more thing. We do travel with them folded when we fly ( obviously ). What it curious is that we have sustained more damage do to baggage handlers than we have pulling them down the highway or even paddeling them!

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

kayakamper wrote:What it curious is that we have sustained more damage do to baggage handlers than we have pulling them down the highway or even paddeling them!
Because they didn't care. Another reason is that folders in the baggage simply can damage itself. Rigid and/or sharp parts in one bag with the skin (K1 and Kahuna), and probably some other gear added to the same backpack - bad combination. I always carry a handful of rubber bands and bundle the tubes together, to keep them from dangling. Ribs with their sharp edges travel bundled together in the old sweater - it has to be old, not intended to wear in big cities, because they are sharp. All camping clothes that are not on me in the plane (unfortunately I carry very few clothes in warm destinations) are used for impact protection around the perimeter of the fiberglass coaming. And then, there is a wonderful carry-on bag, always packed up to the limit, with heavy and/or fragile and/or sharp items (like ribs): http://www.geocities.com/alexm221100/ba ... urnal.html (see "Gear" at the bottom of the page). That trip was with a quite heavy Longhaul MK1, but carry-on backpack is the same.

There are minor chances that fiberglass coaming will still get damaged, but not much.

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

What it curious is that we have sustained more damage do to baggage handlers than we have pulling them down the highway or even paddeling them!
I had one stringer section on a folder damaged while flying. That's when I switched to
using hard bags for my homebuilts, both a golf case and a snowboard case. However,
the bulkier FC skins of our Kahuna and K-Light had a hard time fitting into this size case
along with the frame, and certainly not the older fiberglass coamings which traveled by
suitcase.

Regards,

Tom

Alm

Post by Alm »

Tom, your homebuilts have longer parts than Kahuna's, so they need more protection. Loose stringer tubes and deckbars of Kahuna I bundle together into one pack. As my Kahuna backpack is usually filled with many other items when flying - PFD, floatation bags, tent (sans poles), tarp etc, there is enough cushion around the frame pieces. The most fragile in the luggage is fiberlgass coaming - I haven't damaged it so far, but there is no way to protect it reliably in the backpack. It's a good thing that FC switched to multipiece coaming as of 2006. Other parts in Kahuna's backpack are very difficult to damage - but of course, underpaid luggage handlers can accomplish even the most difficult tasks...

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

Tom, your homebuilts have longer parts than Kahuna's, so they need more protection

Alm,

The damaged section was on my K-Light in it's FC bag. I have built smaller folders (15ft )
with sections about the length of my Kahuna sections. I normally use 36 inch sections
on my longer boats, up to 18ft, as the tubes I buy are 6 ft long and with 3 ft sections
there is no waste.

With my FC bags, I always placed layers of 1/2" closed cell foam between the coaming
and tubes, and between the tubes and skin and over the skin. I always place the skin inside of the sea sock.

Regards,

Tom

Alm

Post by Alm »

With my FC bags, I always placed layers of 1/2" closed cell foam between the coaming and tubes, and between the tubes and skin and over the skin.
This is a lot of protection - probably the best possible, short of a hard-case. Unfortunately, not an option in a multiday self-supported trip - there is no room in the boat.
I'm still amazed that they've managed to damage a stringer section. Are K-light parts very different from Kahuna's? In Kahuna loose stringers are impossible to damage when bundled together with rubber bands. Stringers in the bow or stern sub-assembly can't be bundled together well - some still stand out, and can be damaged with a precise hit with something heavy and angular, like wooden crate, into the middle of the stringer.
I tried one other protection as well - deflated Thermarest, folded in half and wrapped around everything in the backpack. But this can damage Thermarest. Blue sleeping foam mat is better - it will get damaged, but remains usable and good for another return trip, so at $5 price I consider it a disposable. There are sometimes household items or camping gear where material of the defunct foam mat can be used.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Alm, Tom,

Some good suggestions. We too have packed our boats with PFD's , clothing and foam padding. It is to the point now that we usually just sustain tears and minor wear points in the travel bag and back pack.

In the past we have had a broken ( cracked ) coaming and a cracked end on our carbon fiber paddle. The good thing about FC and Aquabound is that they were replaced at no charge.

We now use foam ( from float noodles ) stuffed in the ends of our paddle pieces and coamings that are double wrapped.

Regards,
Chris

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

Blue sleeping foam mat is better
That's the same blue sleeping pad foam ( ensolite ?) I used in my FC case. I use it over
the wood floors and seats of my homebuilts. In cold water, I place a layer of it from the
seat to the footbraces as insulation under my sea sock......great stuff ! Though in the
pic below it's obvious by the mud that I didn't use my sea sock . The water is from the
drain holes in my wetboots.

http://www.yostwerks.com/SonnetFloor1.jpg - This coaming / deckridge support has
been replaced with an arched one for more entry room. I've stopped using the
deckridge altogether.

http://www.yostwerks.com/SonnetSeat1.jpg - 3/16" ply seat with 1/2" foam pad. The
seat tucks under the sponsons and is held firmliy in place when the sponsons are
inflated. I like multi-tasking :)

Regards,

Tom

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

We now use foam ( from float noodles ) stuffed in the ends of our paddle pieces and coamings that are double wrapped

Good protecion. I use foam in my ABS paddle case ends to protect the tips of my folding GP's.

When we traveled to New Zealand a while back, I packed the FC travel cases in old military duffle bags to "reduce" their appeal to anyone interested in getting a free FC.

Regards,

Tom

Alm

Post by Alm »

The good thing about FC and Aquabound is that they were replaced at no charge.
This not typical for a warranty, being an abuse of the item, rather than a factory defect. FC hasn't been too eager to replace broken plastic bow piece, where it cracked around the screws shortly after the expiration of the warranty term (3 years at that time), or within the warranty term, but after the original owner sold it to another customer (which voids the warranty) - and this could be a factory defect, when holes were drilled too close to each other, or poor batch of the plastic. I don't remember - I think they've relented later and admitted their fault. There was a posting a few months ago.

Fiberglass coaming is costly, and now that they've discontinued this single-piece coaming, they will supply this part until they run out of this stock, and then you're on your own. I'm carrying a fiberglass cloth and epoxy, just in case. Good for fixing aluminum tubes as well.

Return to “Trip Reporting”