Well travelled Kahunas

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Tom,

I'll remember the military duffle idea. The thick canvas is almost indestructable and should ad a layer of protection. When you were in N.Z. did you paddle at Abel Tasman National Park? We enjoyed it there as well as the Bay of Islands on the North Island.

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

The thick canvas is almost indestructable and should ad a layer of protection.
Tom packed "travel cases" into canvas duffels. Sounds like those hard cases that he's been using. If this is so, then canvas is merely for disguise, not for protection. Any nylon bags (or FC "overbags") would serve the same purpose when put over the FC backpack.

OTH, canvas duffel bag in lieu of FC backpack is an interesting idea. Weight and bulk of empty duffel will be about the same as with FC backpack (darn thing weighs 4 lbs and in narrow drybag can hardly fit behind the last rib). I'm afraid, though, that abrasion resistance of canvas on airport conveyors won't be as good as of synthetic fabric of FC backpack. My other worry is that for flying I usually fill the FC backpack up to the limit with other items, and the end-loaded duffel is more difficult to fill. Bags with full-length opening allow more optimal packing and better control over soft padding around the sharp and fragile items - you can see everything before closing it.

The more I think of it, the less "soft" alternatives to FC backpack I can see. Lighter bags or backpacks will be less durable, while bags with a lot of padding or hard cases are not an option for multiday trips - they won't fit under decks.

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

The thick canvas is almost indestructable and should ad a layer of protection.
When you were in N.Z. did you paddle at Abel Tasman National Park? We enjoyed it
there as well as the Bay of Islands on the North Island.
We placed the FC backpacks (soft bags) in military duffle bags to disguise them.

We were in NZ in 94 and 96 and visited Abel Tasman, but the weather was terraible
and we didn't paddle there. We paddled in Fiordland, Banks Peninsula, the Marlborough
Sounds, Nelson Lakes, Lake's Hawea and Wanaka. I sure miss the mince pies, but not
the sandflies. :)

http://www.yostwerks.com/NZ96.jpg

Regards,

Tom

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Tom,

Great photos! They bring back memories. I must say, great minds think alike. You car topped your Feathercrafts while there. We had a rental station wagon, a couple of 'noodles' and car topped them all over N.Z.

One windy area on the north island almost did us in as one of the noodles blew away, but the kayaks remained.

We also paddled at Lake Taupo, saw a 'recent' Maori carving there. Milford Sound and Lake Rotitoui (sp?).

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/193595251XINdpW

Cheers,

Chris
P.S. We too loved the mince pies while stopping along the road side cafe's

Yostwerks

Post by Yostwerks »

We too loved the mince pies while stopping along the road side cafe's
My wife has tried to make them, but it's not the same. In 94 we rented (hired) boats, but
it was such a hassle, that in 96 we took the FC's. Still a hassle, but we were able to
paddle wherever we wanted and that made all the difference. Several of my boats
have been built in NZ, so I may have to go there again just to check on them. :)

Our rooftop carriers were foam "V's" with straps running through the round Yakima
style openings. I glued strips of hypalon / cloth to the bottoms to close the openings.
They worked ok. At least we didn't have to assemble the boats every day. The Holden
was a nice car as I recall. Too bad the US ...GM and Ford cars aren't as nice as their
Oz counterparts.

The Kiwi beers were pretty good also. That reminds me that our next trip will most likely
be to Ireland. Murphy's, Guinness, Redbreast and Jameson..I can hardly wait !

Regards,

Tom

Return to “Trip Reporting”