Winter, What Winter III

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

K7Baixo

Winter, What Winter III

Post by K7Baixo »

Today, we decided to visit a local lake that's located NW of Phoenix, Saguaro Lake. A friend of mine, Kevin, owns a canoe and was invited to join us. We also packed a picnic lunch.

We picked up my daughter who goes to ASU and enjoyed a nice breakfast. We met Kevin on the way to the Lake and arrived at 10 AM.

The lake isn't large and the idea was to give everyone a chance in both my kayak and Kevin's canoe.

We quickly put the LH together - my nephew from Brazil is a huge help. From bags to attaching the seat was 20 minutes:

I went out in the kayak and Kevin took my wife in his canoe:

Next up was my daughter and then we took a break for lunch.

After lunch, my wife wanted to try the Long Haul - she isn't real big and is quite scared of the water - even though she's a great swimmer. I'll be darned if she didn't LOVE IT!

We put my nephew in the kayak and he loved it also. In short, everyone had a blast.

We met a father and daughter who were in some kind of pump-up kayak and they were gracious enough to let everyone try them out - everyone enjoyed them also esp. my wife and daughter. These were much lighter and shorter than the Long Haul.

Now, I have an issue - everyone wants kayaks. Pretty cool day and everyone wants to do it again next weekend.
Last edited by K7Baixo on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Your wife looks really happy in the red boat. That's so cool. My wife won't even try to solo a kayak. Sounds like you may be making a couple of Yostwerks Sonnets soon?

K7Baixo

Post by K7Baixo »

Christov_Tenn wrote:Your wife looks really happy in the red boat. That's so cool. My wife won't even try to solo a kayak. Sounds like you may be making a couple of Yostwerks Sonnets soon?
We'll see. This trip had several purposes. I wanted to go to Brazil this summer but my wife's father isn't doing well. Why is that an issue? Because we cover 100% of their needs and with his illness, our costs have gone up 300% starting this month.

It's essentially the cost of a very nice house payment in the US. We can cover most of it from salary but sacrifices will have to be made.

That's fine - they blessed me with their daughter and we'll take care of them!

Anyway, the Brazil trip may have to be delayed a year. Kevin is a good friend and we've traveled a bit by motorcycle together. I wanted him to try the kayak. If he was comfortable in it, we may build a folder for him and then he'd be my partner for next year if I have to change my plans.

I'd also like to build a kayak for me - a non-folding version - but if my wife and daughter likes it this much and they're serious, we may have to do something for them first.

No matter which path is presented, I really can't lose. That's pretty darn good 'eh?

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Great pictures Gerry. Nice to live in or near a warm climate. We are heading to North Florida again this coming weekend to take advantage of the long holiday weekend! 8)

Chris

K7Baixo

Post by K7Baixo »

Cool - where are you headed? Suwannee River? Please - take lots of pictures and travel safe!

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Thanks Gerry,

Trip may have to be modified now due to poor weather expected.....January reality :roll:

Actually, we are headed there to pick up a hardshell a guy is selling me from Tampa, but you can bet I will find time to try it out.

Chris

K7Baixo

Post by K7Baixo »

Another Sunday - another visit to the lake:

More kids to take out and introduce to kayaking:

Four Peaks:

Kevin with some kids -

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Gerry,

Great pictures again. That is a beautiful lake! Too cold & wet this weekend on this end of the country and too short of time in North Florida ( 29 f there last night ).

Back home to the ATL ( with a little snow on the ground! :shock: ) now and hoping for a winter thaw!

Chris

K7Baixo

Post by K7Baixo »

Thank you.

I'm going to miss my nephew. Great kid for 12-years old. It was his first flight when he flew here by himself about 5 weeks ago.

I think he could assemble the Long Haul by himself at this point in time.

After we got home, we took a short break before heading into the garage to wash off everything and assemble the kayak for storage.

As I was standing there - contemplating the tasks ahead, Vinicius looked at me and said, "Let's do it."

Great kid!

K7Baixo

another weekend of horrible winter weather....

Post by K7Baixo »

Another trip to the lake - the water was pretty stirred up due to the recent rains and wash-through as the water flows through from higher grounds.

Perfect day other than that. Paddled up a few miles, had lunch and then made our way back. Total was about 3 hours.

K7Baixo

out twice this week....

Post by K7Baixo »

A friend & I was out last Monday on Canyon Lake. While it was a beautiful day, it was windy and a little on the cool side.

As we rounded a corner, we can across an inflatable that the wind has pineed up against the bank - I checked it - no lines holding it, no identifying marks. I told my buddy that maybe we'd grab it on the way back.

When we returned later, it was still there. I had already rigged my bowline to the rear of my kayak so I clipped on to it and started towards the launching area.

There's a tourist boat (The Dolly) that I had passed earlier and the captain saw me hooking up the inflatable. He passed me and then turned around and came up behind me to pass again. He got on his PA and told me that some canoeists had lost it the night before. He asked if I was one of them and I shook my head 'no', pointed towards the marina with a thumbs-up.

It was tough towing that @%&$ thing across the water but I knew someone would appreciate getting it back. We loaded it on my buddy's vehicle and dropped it at the marina. Hopefully, the owner left a phone number or something - no one knew anything about it. The tourist boat docks there also and we told the folks at the marina that the captain knew something about it.

Here I am relaxing after a very windy morning on the water. The inflatable was quite comfortable!

We went out today also - this time on Tempe Town Lake. There was a racing event on the lake today. We were amazed at the size of the woman on some of the sculling teams. I was temped to yell out, "Helga" just to see how many responded. No pictures from today...

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

What was the name of that Icelandic queen Siegfried tricked? Maybe it was Helga...

Return to “Trip Reporting”