Paddling the Alabama

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

K7Baixo

Re: Paddling the Alabama

Post by K7Baixo »

kayakamper wrote: I think Tang in moderation is good as well. It is also an easy storage and packs well.
Exactly - mix it easy or it's too sweet. My trail mix survived well and did some peanut bars I enjoyed.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

I get a kick out of all the "new" sports recovery drinks. Gatorade, Accelerade and about a thousand others are available in powder form (albeit some with a bit of whey protein) are really just Tang with some salts thrown in so that they can claim that it rebalances electrolytes. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but Tang will do the trick as well, for about half the price. And it is all really just sugar water. 14 grams of carb made up 99% of good old sucrose.

Drink up.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Alm

Post by Alm »

gbellware wrote:I get a kick out of all the "new" sports recovery drinks. Gatorade, Accelerade and about a thousand others are available in powder form (albeit some with a bit of whey protein) are really just Tang with some salts thrown in so that they can claim that it rebalances electrolytes. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but Tang will do the trick as well, for about half the price. And it is all really just sugar water. 14 grams of carb made up 99% of good old sucrose.
Sport drink is designed to work on its own. You drink it, replenish both water and salts (electrolytes) and off you go again. No time to chew energy bars or trail mix, not to mention making an instant soup. Sport drink like Gatorade has sugar, sodium, chloride,potassium, and some varieties even have protein - Tang only has sugar and some sodium (which is electrolyte when dissolved in water, but little amount compared to Gatorade). So, Tang doesn't really do the same trick as Gatorade. OTH, in any instant soup you have salt, which dissociates in water into the same eletrolytes - sodium and chloride - found in Gatorade. So, if you have a cup of Tang, and then a cup of chicken or noodle soup, and/or a good energy bar or trail mix with pure fresh water, you're getting same things as in a bottle of Gatorade.

Powdered Gatorade - I don't know who might need it. May be some extreme hikers. If you have time to mess with a powdered Gatorade, then you have time to mess with Tung and/or trail mix and/or tea, soup, potato powder, beef jerky etc - and there is enough room in a kayak for all these things. It's nice to have "all in one" powder like Gatorade, but I think that mixing other things to my taste will eventually result in the same - the body will tell when it needs more salts or more carbs (protein I take in a natural form anyway). If I make a minor mistake listening to such a "calculator" as my stomach, it won't be fatal, as I'm not in Olympics. The only thing that body won't tell me immediately, is minerals and some vitamins. I'm taking vitamin C with my water or tea anyway (Tang has it too), but haven't decided yet whether to carry multivitamins/minerals tablets in long trips, or just forget about all this science until I'm back to "normal" life.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

"If I make a minor mistake listening to such a "calculator" as my stomach, it won't be fatal, as I'm not in Olympics. The only thing that body won't tell me immediately, is minerals and some vitamins."

So true, Alex, I am right with you. As long as you start off hydrated and in balance (electolyte-wise), there is almost no way to get in trouble as long as you listen to your body. I have been an avid endurance athelete -- strictly middle of the pack age grouper, mind you, for about 25 years and I just smile with each new concoction "they" try to sell to improve performance.

Drink lots of water, keep your pee almost clear, and eat when you are hungry. Can't go wrong.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

Thanks Gerry for the intinerary and the photos....

I practically managed to retrace your route on Google earth and I ejoyed reading....

We do not have this kind of river routes in Greece ( none that I know at least) and I realy participated to the river experience through your trip report...

Thanks for sharing with us...

Return to “Trip Reporting”