Exuma Park (Bahamas)

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Alm

Exuma Park (Bahamas)

Post by Alm »

April 2008 trip report - here http://www.geocities.com/alexm221100/exu08.html . Web publishing/editing tools supplied with free hosting of Yahoo and Google are primitive, to say the least. Let me know if something doesn't work on the page.

kayakamper

Re: Exuma Park (Bahamas)

Post by kayakamper »

Alex, great report. funny a posted this earlier, but it didn't submit. Anyway, I will sit down later and read it all. I liked the way you showed the skinless frame packed. Good demo, plus a good idea for someone trying to fit it all in. I am never sure if I got it all in there when looking through the cockpit. This way I'd know it will all fit.

Your first paragraph said it all for me and the Kahuna. As much as I love that boat, I am happy I found the K-1 at for a good deal. Downside of course is its weight and slow assemble. Worthwhile tradeoffs I suppose.

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

I wouldn't have been able to load it in field if I didn't try this at home first - and it took me all day to try different ways and find the optimum solution. The choice of gear and food was more-less predetermined, but size of drybags, distribution of gear among the bags, and placement of bags in the boat - this is what matters in such a small boat.

PS: skinless photos at the beginning are mostly for demonstration purposes. It might be a good starting point, though - to tinker,try different options. But after you've assembled it and inflated the sponsons, dimesnions get skewed a little. Sponsons can be deflated during loading/unloading, but still it's not the same as without the skin. Different options should be finally tested with skin on, - before the trip, especially if this is somebody's first time.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

As my items change between trips ( will probebly try your fuel idea next time for example ), I usually draw out a 'cheat sheet ' schematic of the boat with invisable skin where each bag and item is located as I pre pack the boat at home. Then I take the sheet and put it in my water proof chart mat and refer to it the first couple of mornings. Otherwise, it is sort of like building the boat the first couple of times, just when you get it together, you realise you forgot something.

Makes packing go a few minutes faster :) .

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

Otherwise, it is sort of like building the boat the first couple of times, just when you get it together, you realise you forgot something.
This would've been the traveler's worst nightmare - to arrive some place where the very expression "aluminum shop" is unheard of, and to realise that you forgot some FC frame part. Fiberglas cloth and epoxy, or velcro, or pocket drill and thin wire can fix almost anything, but it takes precious time.

Propane tanks work with propane stoves only - you can't take off the shelf Primus/MSR LPG stove and use it with propane tank, the thread is different. Cheap screw-on-top burners work on propane, but their regulators have narrow range - Ok for most purposes, though. I don't like screw-on burners because it's difficult to use a wind screen with it, and stability needs to be taken care of- especially with tall cylinders. Screw-ons are also less compact with that triangular pot support, than free-standing LPG stoves with folding legs. It's difficult to find a compact free-standing propane burner, not to mention with built-in igniter, that''s why I had to buy an LPG (Isobutane) Primus stove and mutilate it permanently to work on propane. Propane tank for some reason favors an upright position (or at least, its head should be elevated). When laying flat on the side (with free-standing burner), it makes clicking/coughing sounds, and flame reacts accordingly, but I didn't notice this to affect anything.

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

I have a Primus omni fuel stove ( folding leg type ). I guess if I ever wanted to use other fuels ( white gas, unleaded- heaven forbid, but in a pinch ), I am not sure I want to permenently alter mine to use std propane bottles. I suppose carrying my refillable aluminum container filled with white gas might be a good enough back up to my isobutane cans. That gas is also available most places I might go.......and then there is also unleaded.

Chris

Alm

Post by Alm »

kayakamper wrote: have a Primus omni fuel stove ( folding leg type ). I guess if I ever wanted to use other fuels ( white gas, unleaded- heaven forbid, but in a pinch ), I am not sure I want to permenently alter mine to use std propane bottles. II suppose carrying my refillable aluminum container filled with white gas might be a good enough back up to my isobutane cans. That gas is also available most places I might go.......and then there is also unleaded.

Chris
I wouldn't bother carrying a liquid fuel as a backpup to isobutane cans. Nothing can happen to isobutane cans. Problems could be with the stove itself (unlikely too), or a with fuel availability - when you can't find any (for such occasions I carry Sierra). But with Omni you will always find some fuel, as long as there is any general store or gas station or diesel generator around. But then you'll have to clean the pump and fuel bottle thoroughly, before flying back home. Normally guys in obscure corners of the world are way less concerned about sniffing passengers' stoves and empty bottles than in Canada or USA, but you never know. This is one my reason to dislike liquid fuels (and I just don't like them because of pumps, priming, more smell and soot).

Omni is the most versatile stove, I wouldn't modify it permanently like I did with Easyfuel. Unfortunately, Omni's versatility doesn't include propane cans (it says "propane" on some descriptions, but it doesn't fit Coleman or similar propane tanks). And in non-tourist stores isobutane cans are less common than propane, so chances are that with Omni I would've used it in liquid mode often (which fuels I dislike). Well, this is just my setup, it works for me, eveybody's trips are different.

Return to “Trip Reporting”