Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:08 am 
Hi all!

Our two new Kahunas (see my thread in the "Feathercraft" sub forum) have seen and felt water yesterday for the first time. We paddled the Rur reservoir in Western Germany (Eifel national park) in good sunshine and (for the first leg of the voyage) wind from aft. We did so together with two experienced paddlers we met through the German Faltboot-Forum, who paddled another Kahuna and an older K1. Pictures of the maiden voyage can be seen in this link: https://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/jana.gibhardt/Jungfernfahrt_Kahuna

If anyone's around in Western Germany and wants to paddle the Rur reservoir, too: You need a permit, which can be bought for 3 Euros at a boat rental close to the dam and is valid for a week. There's a parking space quite close by (500m) and several access points. The parking place costs 2,50 Euro per 6 hours parking time, but when we left around 7 p.m. the barrier was open and we could simply leave. :D Might be different in high summer when evenings are longer.

Paddling on the reservoir is permitted roughly between mid of April and mid of October, so be quick about it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:49 pm 
I was in Rurberg some weeks ago for mountaibiking. You mentioned that the permit is 3 euros. Are you talking about 3 euros for Rurtalsperre (relatively crowded) or Urfttalsperre (more remote)? Ivan Walther has collected fine trips in Europe in his portfolio; should give you some inspirations when planning further tours in Europe (http://www.aex-reisen.de).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:23 am 
Hi 5480!

3 Euro was for the Rurtalsperre, don't know about Urfttalsperre.

Best regards
Jana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:04 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Good pictures Nutellamonster! Didn't get to see much of the Carbon baby, but what I saw looked good.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:17 am 
Hey Chris,

thanks! and sorry for not answering sooner - it does look good, doesn't it?! I'm very proud of my beautiful boat. Of course, visibility is an issue, I guess we'll work on something to put on us and/or the boat when paddling the Rhine or similar: some bright orange construction worker's vest, they have reflecting stripes, too, and cost something like 1 Euro (0,60$?), maybe a flashing /constant light beacon if we're thinking about fog or nightfall on the water.

I wasn't sure about taking carbon exactly for that reason - I did envision an elegant-looking, classy kayak but wasn't sure about visibility. But then I got the idea of adding something brightly-colored to my outfit or the boat's, AND - what made the decision so much easier - Rebecca of FC sent me a picture of a carbon Wisper. After that, I had no doubts.

There's a little more fotos in this thread in the German Faltbootforum: http://www.faltboot.de/forum/read.php?1,134558 - you'll have to scroll down a bit, there's a link to my fotos and then there's a long post by Astrid who was with us and took some pictures, she sometimes linked to the thumbnail versions of the pictures, but if you delete the .th out of the address of the picture, you should get the big one. Later, she corrected some of that, but not all :roll:

Also, Melanie took some pictures with her analog camera, the will be developed tomorrow, so I don't know yet whether they turned out good. But if yes, I'll scan and upload them as soon as I can.

Greetings
Jana (who will buy Nutella today, our cache is depleted and there's an deal on it for 1,11 € instead of 2€! Hopefully I'll get quite a good hoard, sometimes clerks get nasty, there's an expression in German "haushaltsübliche Menge" - "amount usual for one household", and then they restrict it to 6 or 10 glasses. They don't know about "usual" for MY household, that's clear. I did notice the Berlin Wall coming down, didn't I?? :lol: )