Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:27 pm 
The weather outside has been frightful. The roads have been snowed over and icy, I haven't been bicycling to work let alone paddling in my free time.
After a week of constant predictions of snow, etc. I had given up hope of anymore paddling this year. Then low and behold this morning the sun was out, the tides were favourable, and it looked to be my last chance this year. By the time I got back from town, I noticed I wasn't the only one in the neighborhood with is idea, the lady across the street was already out.
For whatever reason, the weather had already begun to change. Waves were already crashing on the windward side of outcroppings.
The cormorants never seem to mind the rough weather. They might even thrive on it. While I was paddling out I saw numerous cormorants "scuddling" along the surface into the wind fishing.
I was having quite a time paddling into the wind. By the time I got into the middle of the channel the rich smell of Whale Rocks was wafting by me.
These guys in the "Sea Goose" snuck up behind me. When they came up on my starboard side they asked me repeatedly if I was OK. I repeated several times I was. I don't think they believed me. They hung out the entire time I was out at Whale Rock. I was beginning to wonder if they were convinced I was just being macho, or were concerned that maybe I was getting too close to the stellar sea lions. On this later concern they were much closer than I ever became. On previous trips I've come by here and they've panicked a bit and come charging into the water. Not to attack me, but to be more in their own element. This time I tried to keep a better distance. It also occurred to me that the guys in the "Sea Goose" might also be watching the sea lions. Or perhaps they were planning to fish since this is one of the best fishing spots in the entire state.
I had quite a time changing lenses out and then holding the camera still. The wind was also making it challenging and I found I was fighting a bit of a lee helm.
There's a kelp bed between the Whale Rocks, but the wind was pushing kelp straight along the surface.
The weather continued to get rougher, so it was time to head home. There was a following sea on my way home, occasionally breaking over the coaming. By the time I got to the windward side of Goose Island again the sea was getting much more tumultuous. In the lee of Goose Island I landed back on my beach, but this time with a small surf at high tide. Not so bad, but I was worried about swamping. At least I got one more paddle this year. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 am 
You are one lucky guy to live with all that in your backyard. Great photos, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Great photos Kapitan.

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:39 am 
Very nice !

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 pm 
Thanks guys! It took me awhile to get my first paddle in this year, but finally! The map I posted on FB shows some of the land marks I identified:
I'm still proving myself to be a fairweather 'yaker, since it took half a month to get back out again!