Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 pm 
This year we (Marshall and I) decided to paddle to the very end of the lake. It is a beautiful place, and in the winter time all the boaters stay home, so we had the whole area to ourselves.

The body of water is long and narrow, with many sharp turns and side canyons. We set up our camp about four miles from the launching beach and planned to paddle the following day to its far end. Unfortunately, it started to blow at night and stormy wind continued for the next couple of days. We tried to paddle into it, but gave up after a couple of hours. At times, my kayak felt as if it wanted to lift up and fly.

So, a few weeks later we decided to give it another try. This time weather was much more reasonable, I'd say perfect for paddling. The routine was the same: set up the camp the first day, and paddle to the lake's end on the next.

After a few hours of easy paddling, we stopped in one of the side canyons for lunch.

After that we continued to the end of the lake. The hydro dam that is located at the far end was not visible, and we did not want to trespass the area enclosed by the log boom. But after seeing Hoover Dam, I was not that curious to see it anyway. We spent some time taking pictures of each other and paddled slowly back to the camp.

On the third day we paddled back to the beach and treated ourselves to hamburgers at the marina restaurant. From its deck we could watch a paddle wheeler taking passengers and departing for sightseeing excursion up the lake, and did some fish feeding (I can ensure you that that fish did not need our food - they were huge!)

Next year we decided on another trip - up the Black Canyon of Colorado, but this will be another story.

On the way back we noticed an armed patrolman cruising Apache Trail. He did not mind posing for the photos; on the other hand I thought about freedom this continent has to offer to all of us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:24 pm 
ooops, some of the photos did not show up, so here they are:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:53 am 
Beautiful place.

But... what the heck? Do you live in an alternative universe where the nazis won the war?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am 
The freedom of this continent is absolute, and everyone is a winner. This is how I received this guy.

In my opinion, and taking the political animosities aside, he gets the credit for such authentic and near perfect replica. I feel lots of innocent intentions about him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:50 am 
I have a similar motorcycle with side-car (they are still produced in China) but I would not want to be seen carrying these boxes around...

The lake looks gorgeous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 am 
Quote:
The freedom of this continent is absolute, and everyone is a winner. This is how I received this guy.

You're right there. In Austria and Germany this would have landed him in jail. Given their history I can see the rationale for such laws, but I can't entirely agree with them. Each to their own and all that, but I can't help but wonder about the motivation.

Quote:
I feel lots of innocent intentions about him.

I hope you're right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:43 pm 
Nohoval, you are right, of course. I should correct my statement to: I hope that his motivations are innocent.
I'm sure that all he wants is to differentiate himself from common folks, like those stopping at the bar in Jerome, Az for a little dance:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:57 pm 
Is that a Russian-built BMW with the Afrika Korps markings?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 pm 
Christov_Tenn wrote:
Is that a Russian-built BMW with the Afrika Korps markings?

I really did not pay attention to details like that, being fascinated by the whole thing. The trailer though is a pre-1939 Swiss army, horse drawn amunition transporter. Some of the granade boxes are authentic as well.