Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:52 pm 
K7Baixo wrote:
...I saw Bill the Duck in a completely different light during this visit to church. I made him stand far far away just in case though.

That's weird how your camera picks up Anaconda's Revenge like that.... :D

We attracted a bit of attention wherever we went:

From time to time we returned the favor:

One of Paul's goals was to find a hat. For some reason he passed this one by.

I don't know the names of any of these fruits. Or the kid, for that matter... :D

Did we mention that the water was at a record high?

Cool tug:

Post subject: Time to get on the boat
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:14 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The water level in Amazonia was at a 50+ year high. In fact, there's a sign to commemorated this near the docks.

Hard to see but the date there is 1953 and 1978. Those were surpassed a few days before we arrived.

I love boats - strange since I'm pretty much scared of water. Most of the boats aren't fancy - function over form. Take a gas motor and slap a shaft and prop on it. We don't need no stinkin' transmission:

Some of the controls on the boats are also appear to be improvised:

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:28 pm 

Sunday finally rolled around and we made our way down to the public docks again. Since we had walked around the area quite a bit, getting there was simple.

There, waiting on us, was the riverboat we had rented for a week - credit to Chris for the photo:

Another view - she's not the newest or the oldest boat on the river - I'd put her age at something north of 20 years but that's only a guess:

Here are her engine controls:

and others - most of which didn't seem to function:

Lower deck - kitchen on the left, bathroom just aft of it and showers on the right:

Upper deck shots:

Looking forward:

Plenty of room to put kayaks together - here is Paul's Tom Yost-designed kayak:

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:46 pm 

I think we all hit our head at least once or twice while on the boat.

It made for a nice platform to travel and launch kayaks. The fantail came in handy also. Various shots from around the boat over the week:

Kevin assembling his kayak:

Hammocks for sleeping - we also could retreat to bunks if we wanted:

Insert your own caption here:

Some captains instill love into the crews' hearts - others, fear:

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

Last edited by K7Baixo on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:02 pm 
K7Baixo wrote:
I think we all hit our head at least once or twice while on the boat.

It made for a nice platform to travel and launch kayaks. The fantail came in handy also. Various shots from around the boat over the week:

Kevin assembling his kayak:

Hammocks for sleeping - we also could retreat to bunks if we wanted:

Insert your own caption here:

Some captions instill love into the crews' hearts - others, fear:

:lol: For some reason Capt. Severino never did show me how to work the throttle. I think my vroom-vroom noises may have put him off.

You remember these guys?

The kid in front is digging for either the anaconda or sloth they had. My guess was they wanted to bring them aboard for photo-ops and $$. We took pics from afar and moved on. IMHO not the kinda thing to encourage.

Here's the best shot I got of the meeting of the waters. At Manaous, the Rio Negro and Rio Solimoes join to form the Amazon. I always figured the Amazon was called the Amazon all the way up to its headwaters somewhere. Not so.

Anyway, the Solimoes is a brown-water river and the Negro is a black-water river. They run side-by-side for about 20 miles (Gerry?) before mixing together.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:20 pm 

As I noted, the back of the boat was very handy for launching:

It was also used for sharpening machetes:

Laundry, fishing and even cleaning fish - picture from Paul:
and hunting for great whites - picture from Paul:

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 pm 

Bill the Duck wrote:
K7Baixo wrote:
You remember these guys?

The kid in front is digging for either the anaconda or sloth they had. My guess was they wanted to bring them aboard for photo-ops and $$. We took pics from afar and moved on. IMHO not the kinda thing to encourage.

From afar? We never slowed down! In their defense, they never motioned us to slow down. I think the kid was proud of his catches - otherwise, I agree with you - it's not something we'd want to encourage.

From Chris:

and from my shots - I think that Kevin has a better shot:

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

Last edited by K7Baixo on Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Here SPOT
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:20 pm 

We used the SPOT to keep the wives informed of our location. While its value has been questioned on other boards, our wives knowing where we were at certain points during the day and that we were safe were priceless and absolutely worth the effort.

I look the various SPOT and will use them as a log to show our travels. Here's the docks and our position at midday just after we left the docks (circled in red) on Sunday, July 5th.

As we neared the meeting of the waters, I took another SPOT:

Keep in mind that the satellite photographs are old but our positions are accurate. The water levels were very, very high and in many cases, our position will make it appear as if we're on land, not near a point like the meeting of the waters, etc.

The skies were overcast and while we could clearly see the difference between the waters, it was hard to capture in photographs.

From my pictures:

This is where the Rio Negro and the Solimoes Rivers come together. The temperature and pH of each river is different so the waters takes quite a few miles before they mix fully. The samething happens where the Santarem River mixes with the Amazon near the town of Santarem.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:10 pm 

BTW, here are the places where we were at morning, midday and in the evenings - I've got closer shots of these as we progress.

We were in the southern part first and then made our way towards the north - despite what the numbers indicate.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

A lot of fantastic memories here. I'll only ad some of my pictures too in the form of a slide show. Enjoy!

http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/57 ... e0brbWtLks

cheers,
Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:56 pm 

We made our way towards the south and it was clear that the level of the water was much higher than normal:

When we stopped, it was probably around 3:30 or so. I did a SPOT for the folks back home and I'm sure they were a little confused to see us on what appeared to be dry land.

The plan was to paddle over to the lake just to the north - this would allow us to see some of the giant lillie pads and maybe a little wildlife.

The first stop was at some trees that contained a small citrus fruit - tasted a little sour but good nevertheless:

The high water obscured most of the channels and had been rough on the lillie pads - Chris and the pads:

You can get an idea of the size here also:

You don't want to get too close to these - the undersides are full of 1" + thorns.

From here, we headed....into the woods and treetops. The objective wasn't to necessarily to kayak a ton o' miles on this trip BTW. We were looking to become more famaliar with the area, the wildlife, the do's and don't in preperation for a future trip.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:14 pm 

I think we were all intimidated at the thought of entering the trees in kayaks. As you'll see later, there's all manner of trees that you don't want to reach out to touch, spiders and other creatures that might join you. In fact, all of us were constantly checking ourselves and removing spiders and other bugs that we'd find on us. This area is closer to the Amazon River - we were only about 75 yards off the river - so there were a few more bugs than we'd see on the Rio Negro.

The light due to the time of day made taking photographs difficult. One of the things that surprised us were the big splashes we'd hear as we maneuvered around the woods. Turns out the iguanas would literally dive-bomb into the water if we were too close for comfort.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:05 pm 

More of the trip report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493130

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:31 pm 
Wow! That was a great trip, and a great trip report. My father's always keen to travel somewhere with me, if it's just an hour or two of gunkholing each morning he could manage that. How did you find the outfitter? I assume he put together the boat, guide and cook for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:13 pm 

SeanRichens wrote:
Wow! That was a great trip, and a great trip report. My father's always keen to travel somewhere with me, if it's just an hour or two of gunkholing each morning he could manage that. How did you find the outfitter? I assume he put together the boat, guide and cook for you.

I've got lots of contacts in Brazil and between them and a little internet research, we selected Mark. Mark's an 'merican and we talked over a period of 18-months which adds greatly to the comfort level.

Having said that, we'll go with a guide-only in the future - probably 2011 in a more remote-type trip where we'll use alternate transportation (truck/bus/etc) to find river access to a smaller river and make our way to the Rio Negro in a trip that'll likely be 100-150 miles in length. At least that's the preliminary thoughts. One thought is may go to Boa Vista which would put us kayaking across the equator. That might be too large a river for what we want - nothing is pounded into rock yet.

Appreciate your comments.

Long Haul Mark I
Impex Assateague