Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake paddling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:04 pm 
Took my folder for a morning paddle on this beautiful lake. Strong wind and furious waves built up shortly after landing. Glad I paid attention to what locals had to say about weather pattern in that area.

Post subject: Re: Lake paddling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:54 pm 
Wow, that is some lake.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 pm 
Can anyone recognize its location?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like someplace in Wyoming, USA, to me.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:22 pm 
Well it ain't Kansas.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 pm 
Those lakes that I've seen on the V.I., looked smaller. Never paddled any - driving and ferry hassle from the mainland is too much for a daypaddle. I'm surprised to see this snow - didn't notice any on the mountains around the mainland, and peaks on the Island are lower yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:17 am 
Someplace inside the Hollow Earth? :wink: :!:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:27 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Looks familiar to the lake at Grand Tetons National Park. I paddled that lake in '06.

chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:56 am 
Chris, good. Very good.

It is Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park, indeed. A beautiful lake to paddle, with long and open crossings, but also a pretty group of islands in Colter Bay with narrow passages and portage channels. Here is one of them. Coincidently, I run into a couple paddling an old Pouch, even with its original skin and paddles.

Dave by the way, who was close, tried to sneak in with his inside information from another forum - http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/index.php

By the way, a very good source of paddling info in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 am 
Alm wrote:
Those lakes that I've seen on the V.I., looked smaller. Never paddled any - driving and ferry hassle from the mainland is too much for a daypaddle....

Alex, not quite. Republic of VI has a few splendid lakes for multiday paddling. Sproat and Great Central Lakes are known for long camping trips. Great Central will take you right to the foot of Strathcona glaciers. There are many others. All are very beautiful and large enough for extensive kayaking trips.

You should come and visit after all. Less hassle than hauling folders on the planes, and waters can be almost as warm as in the tropics.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Those are the Grand and Teewinot summits in the background and Mt. Moran with its Skillet Glacier closer in -- though I notice climate warming has detached the "handle" from the "Skillet" and melted a hole in the pan. I worked on an archaeology site up in the Elk Refuge across the valley from here back in 2002 and used to climb the ridge to watch the sunrise hit these peaks every morning.

Did you spot any pelicans that day or had they already moved to their winter roosts?

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

gregn wrote:
Dave by the way, who was close, tried to sneak in with his inside information from another forum - http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/index.php By the way, a very good source of paddling info in my opinion.
Well, I recognized it right away, both on WCP, where I saw it first, and here also, but figured it would be more fun to let the game go on. I've been in the Tetons a few times, climbed the Grand in 1973, and did a little rafting on the Snake nearby but have never paddled Jackson Lake. It is a very nice area, but the Snake is not a good place for folders. A friend very nearly got nailed by a sweeper in her Folbot. Too swift and full of snags.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.