Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Florida Keys, part 1

Post by gbellware »

Here are pics and videos of last week in Florida Keys:

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... ip%202010/

Trip report, Florida Keys:

Spent 7 days sailing and paddling 112 miles from Key Largo to Bahia Honda, with overnights on Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada, Long Key, Curry Hammock and Bahia Honda. I would have said this was the trip of a lifetime, but it is not, because I plan on doing it again!

I was graced, for the most part, with great weather, wind and seas. Winds out of the Northeast at 10-22 mph for the entire week, giving me following wind and seas every day. I made the best time (although making good time was never an objective) from Curry Hammock to Bahia Honda, covering 27 miles in just over 6 hours. That included an open sea crossing at 7-mile bridge, putting me about 3 miles offshore in 4-foot waves and 18 mph wind. What a blast!

The Klepper Quattro 545 (that’s the longer version, giving me about a foot more in the cockpit) handled everything without drama. I had about 100 pounds of gear, including 3 gallons of water and a lot of camping stuff one would not think of taking backpacking. I was very comfortable.

The 1.6m2 Kuvia sail was more that I ever expected. It really is a fine piece of equipment and I felt even more stable under this sail in higher seas. Really efficient and surprisingly powerful. I was making 4.5-5.2 mph on a run in 12-14 mph wind, I recorded a top speed of 10.0 reefed in 22 mph wind but I am sure that happened surfing down the face of a big, following wave. I spent a lot of time just playing with the rig, circumnavigating a couple of Keys, including Bahia Honda, which is the most beautiful, imo. I could make slow upwind progress, sailing as close as 45 degrees to the wind…a little better if I paddled. (more in next submission)…
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

DoiNomazi
faltbootemeister

Re: Florida Keys, part 1

Post by DoiNomazi »

gbellware wrote:Here are pics and videos of last week in Florida Keys:

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i36 ... ip%202010/

Trip report, Florida Keys:

Spent 7 days sailing and paddling 112 miles from Key Largo to Bahia Honda, with overnights on Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada, Long Key, Curry Hammock and Bahia Honda. I would have said this was the trip of a lifetime, but it is not, because I plan on doing it again!

I was graced, for the most part, with great weather, wind and seas. Winds out of the Northeast at 10-22 mph for the entire week, giving me following wind and seas every day. I made the best time (although making good time was never an objective) from Curry Hammock to Bahia Honda, covering 27 miles in just over 6 hours. That included an open sea crossing at 7-mile bridge, putting me about 3 miles offshore in 4-foot waves and 18 mph wind. What a blast!

The Klepper Quattro 545 (that’s the longer version, giving me about a foot more in the cockpit) handled everything without drama. I had about 100 pounds of gear, including 3 gallons of water and a lot of camping stuff one would not think of taking backpacking. I was very comfortable.

The 1.6m2 Kuvia sail was more that I ever expected. It really is a fine piece of equipment and I felt
even more stable under this sail in higher seas. Really efficient and surprisingly powerful. I was making 4.5-5.2 mph on a run in 12-14 mph wind, I recorded a top speed of 10.0 reefed in 22 mph wind but I am sure that happened surfing down the face of a big, following wave. I spent a lot of time just playing with the rig, circumnavigating a couple of Keys, including Bahia Honda, which is the most beautiful, imo. I could make slow upwind progress, sailing as close as 45 degrees to the wind…a little better if I paddled. (more in next submission)…
Nice trip! Are you willing to try a crazy KeyWest DryTortugas and back in December 2012?
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

That is pretty ambitious. With the right weather pattern I would be tempted, but the only way to do this would be in the fall or winter with a decent North wind. Even then, you would be paddling open ocean for at least 5 hours in the dark. Yikes. Maybe I am just a chicken, but that sounds a bit scary.

Besides, I am slammed for the next year or so building a new company in Seattle. No time for anything but day trips on the weekends in Atlanta.

Thanks again for that great video!
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Nice trip, I'm envious!

Return to “Trip Reporting”