Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Capri
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:51 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just got back from a loop of the island of Capri off Naples. I took my inflatable kayak (Incept K40) from Naples on the 5.30 am ferry (you pay 2 Euro extra for heavy luggage on the hydrofoil I took back) but in the summer months at least you can also hire plastic kayaks from Marina Piccola on the south side of Capri and which you can get to by funicular railway and bus from the main port, Marina Grande. Marina Piccola is also a (the only) good place to stop for a rest along the route. If you go round the island anticlockwise, as I did, as it's about an hour and a half from the end.The whole trip took me six hours with around 4 and half hours paddling, but I'm not a strong paddler nor a particularly fit one. You can launch a kayak from a small beach or a boat ramp, both within the main port of Marina Grande. I had millpond seas on the north side on a relatively calm day (4 knot NE winds forecast with 15 cm waves) and spent lots of time messing about trying to find the blue cave (grotto azurro) on the north side only to be told later the entrance is tiny and that I'd been right next to it at one stage... but then it got quite rough and with a bit of a current and a strong headwind around the southwest point (Punta Carena) - the locals tell me it's like that even on a nice day. There are some very pretty 'green' (grotta verde) caves on the south west side, one of which you can paddle through, then the headwind died down just before I had a break in the sun at Marina Piccola, which has a very sheltered beach landing, Just after that you can go through a spectacular, but very short channel between the two very high and small islands on the south east side (Isole Faraglioni). For some reason they always remind me of the trip down the river Anduin between two statues of ancient kings from The Lord of the Rings. There's also an arch in the island nearer Capri that you can paddle through. The last stretch back around to the main port is my favourite, partly because there are always schools of garfish leaping out of the water there. The day started out at 5 degrees C and ended at 16, going in and out of the sun all the way as the island is quite high. It was a really nice trip that's well worth doing if you ever happen to be passing through Naples!

Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by siravingmon on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Capri
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:05 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Thanks for the trip report. I'm very envious. Would love to canoe those parts some day.
Ian