Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

https://vimeo.com/57174193

Welcome aboard our Long Haul Mark II Commando folding kayak aka the U-­‐boat!

"The Southern Breeze – 2012” will take you along the 56 minute long video diary where you’ll participate in almost every detail of our trip in the Everglades National Park, starting in the Times Square traffic in NYC and ending back on the shore at the Gulf Coast Visitor Center in Everglades City, Florida.

All maps courtesy of Google Earth.

Enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:17 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Very nice, thanks for making and posting that great trip. I have spent many pleasurable days in those waters and you captured the pace and beauty perfectly. Can't wait for the next trip.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 pm 
faltbootemeister

gbellware wrote:
Very nice, thanks for making and posting that great trip. I have spent many pleasurable days in those waters and you captured the pace and beauty perfectly. Can't wait for the next trip.

g

That is the best side of Paradise...:)

Thank you for watching.

More to come.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:19 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hello Nomads.

I have to tell you that this is probably the best video yet. You guys are just getting better and better at recording and putting these videos together. The set up camera angles are really great, you incorporated a little telephoto work in this one that I really liked - the pelicans on the water... very nice - and the on board and remote cameras continue to give a 'real feel' for your adventure.

I am very impressed that you pull this off so smoothly. It's as if you have a film crew traveling with you. I know how much work taking the time to do these shots can be; but you two are pulling it off as if the cameras were pre-positioned and you've just wandered in on them.

I am no longer surprised that I make it through your 1 hour videos without any trouble, they're good. The trick is knowing you'll be watching for an hour and finding the time to sit down and do it. It's always been worthwhile.

Thanks again.

Dennis

PS. I liked the scenes traveling through the city, but I'm guessing you guys might have wished you took the Verrazano on the way out with all the traffic delays... I'm impressed you can do a straight 20+ hours of driving as well. Those days are long past for me.

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thank you.

Indeed, one must love video production, otherwise the effort can easily ruin one's realtime vacation...:)

Truth be told, post-production (editing) is way more difficult than field production.

I love driving. It relaxes me and no road is too long... I drove NY - LA non-stop (between 58 and 62 hours) several times, I drove from NY to Prudhoe Bay, on the shore of the Arctic Ocean and back, NY to Belize and Guatemala and back and many roads oveseas in Africa, Australia and a bit of Asia. I take driving over flying anytime.

Yes, Verazzano would have been a better choice, but we wanted to capture the imagery of a busy NYC for comparison with the serenity of the Everglades.

regards.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

All told I figure it's about a 3:1 ratio for post. IE, one hour of shooting equals three hours of post to final.

I love to drive as well, I just can't make the long continuous drives anymore - when I was in school I made a long drive home every weekend and developed a nasty case of road hypnosis which puts me to sleep after a few hours. I've learned that frequent stops, even when I don't want to make them, help considerably. I still love driving, especially if I have the time to take the back roads, no dosing off there. I did a lot of long motorcycle trips when I lived out west. I miss that quite a bit, the kayak has definitely filled that gap out here on the east coast.

I agree that the NYC footage was worthwhile.

Again, nice job.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP