Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 pm 
paddler

I spent about 2 hrs trying to get the pics loaded to photo bucket, only to lose the entire post I had written checking to see if the photo link worked. Very frustrating......

I am going to see if the pics work, possibly come back and add trip info some other time.
It was a once in a lifetime, amazing trip.

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/yechave/library/#

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:58 pm 
paddler

Due to our work schedules, we picked a date and either went with it, or it would not happen, ever. Turns out, the river was above flood stage. We all decided it was now. It was an adventure of a lifetime for all of us!

I had purchased a Nautiraid which I soon found out needed a great deal of repair. I spent months working on it. Turns out, I doubt any other kayak I have owned or used would have made this journey. The two larger kayaks carried an estimated 250 lbs of gear. We had a lot of comfort gear including two dollys, two tents, lots of clothes, stove, hot shower, lights, fishing gear and food for a week. The FC K-light carried about 50 lbs.

The logistics of transporting all this was staggering. Two drop off vans, a third vehicle to pick us up on the third day. It was about 100+ miles to Dingman's launch from both houses. From Belvidere back to Dingman's with three drivers, and then three vehicles traveling another 100+ miles home......... It was a lot of driving.

We weren't on the river half a day when my companion decided to take a break and we landed in just muck, which was the only option at the time. Her eye glasses came apart and what a time it was locating the screw and putting them back together....we were very lucky it all worked out so well.

The river was very crowded with day trip canoes, which was totally unexpected due to all of the flooding. Any place to land the kayaks and make camp were very far and few between. If you did not pick a spot by 4PM, it was already too late, as we soon found out.

As the lead scout on this journey, I nearly damaged my elbows having to row back upstream with my Nautiraid, as the only area left to camp on the first night was already behind me. We had to make due with the only place left we could find. It was gorgeous!

We caught some bass, took a swim, had great meals and the scenery was just spectacular. Unexpected sun burn was an issue, as was a rather severe lightening storm. The river rose much higher than we could have imagined. Directions for camp areas were not that great and we managed to get the last camp site on the river the second day, or it would have been a very long ride to the finish.

I almost cut off a finger with a saw trying to make remove some downed tree, which needed to go so we had a place to tie up the kayaks for the evening. Good idea to bring work gloves. Had we not done that, it was highly probable the kayaks would have been taken by the flood waters while we slept. The water came within five feet or so, after we tied them a long way from the river before we went to sleep.....

Just about when I was ready to drop my guard of any possible adverse conditions to have to deal with, on my port side and just before I had to exit left for our river exit, was a totally unexpected convergence of another flooded river merging into the Deleware. Not having had much experience on the river, I decided I would point my Nautiraid into the merging river and hoped it would carry me across to where I needed to get out. Had the boat not been loaded down with 250 lbs of gear, my guess is it would have flipped over. As it turns out, the Nautiraid was like a tank, and just took it all in stride.

It was a magical experience.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:23 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the post, sounds like a great trip. You brought back some great memories!. The Delaware River from Kittatinny to the Gap is a remarkable stretch of water. First time I did the trip was in 1963 at an adventure camp when I was 11 years old. Six trips later (with kids, friends, wife, employees, etc.) I still smile every time I think of it. No two trips are even close to the same experience, the river changes so much depending on wind, weather, season, and flow.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories, I think I will have to go back and make some more!

That said, lest someone else thinks making this trip in a folding kayak is a good idea, please be careful. In flood stage, as you experienced, the river can be a boiling, roiling mess with holes and drops. There are 5 Class III rapids along the way (only 1 Class III during draught) that can really test you and your gear. I would not do these runs without a good roll and helmet, and I would definitely not risk any gear stowed above deck. In draught conditions I would just plain not do the trip in a folder. Too many rocks and portages. A canoe, preferably someone else's canoe :-) is the right equipment to use!

Thanks again for sharing, these trip reports are a valuable part of the forum and I know what an investment in time it is to put one together.

Best,
Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:19 pm 
forum fan

This is indeed an excellent river trip. I've done sections from Milford thru the Gap to Portland in my Feathercraft this summer. The scenery is beautiful and the water is clear.

In my opinion you're unlikely to do damage to a folder in this stretch of the river if you're careful and in normal conditions (and also my boats are quite old!). The rapids are not particularly imposing in normal water flows. On the other hand, I wouldn't take a folder on the river above Port Jervis and Matamoras. The rapids are quite a lot bigger there. It's better to use or rent a plastic whitewater kayak.

On big advantage of the Middle Delaware is that most of the shore is parkland, unlike the Upper Delaware which is mostly private and built up. Dingman's campground is nice, but the Middle Delaware also has free, first-come, first-served rustic sites.

The Middle Delaware does have a county-run shuttle service, which means you can get by with just one car. The Pocono Pony runs from late-May to Labor Day.

Klepper Aerius II (1970s)
Two Feathercraft K-Lights (late 1990s)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

sleslie wrote:
This is indeed an excellent river trip. I've done sections from Milford thru the Gap to Portland in my Feathercraft this summer. The scenery is beautiful and the water is clear.

In my opinion you're unlikely to do damage to a folder in this stretch of the river if you're careful and in normal conditions (and also my boats are quite old!). The rapids are not particularly imposing in normal water flows. On the other hand, I wouldn't take a folder on the river above Port Jervis and Matamoras. The rapids are quite a lot bigger there. It's better to use or rent a plastic whitewater kayak.

On big advantage of the Middle Delaware is that most of the shore is parkland, unlike the Upper Delaware which is mostly private and built up. Dingman's campground is nice, but the Middle Delaware also has free, first-come, first-served rustic sites.

The Middle Delaware does have a county-run shuttle service, which means you can get by with just one car. The Pocono Pony runs from late-May to Labor Day.

It sounds really nice and tempting. We did in a canoe, but a folder could be fun...

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm 
forum fanatic

Good trip ,there,Yechave. Nice to win through with a bit of skill ,a bit of luck , and a good canoe .

(Good thing you found the eyeglass screw -ladies don't like duct tape repair to specs :mrgreen: )