Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amalfi/ Sorrento coast
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just got back from a 2 day trip along the Amalfi and Sorrento coasts. It was an organised rally with about 30 of us dropped off around 11 am in Praiano by bus from outside Sorrento, then a leiurely 20 nm in 2 days back to Sorrento. My Narak was the only folding kayak there.
However, quite a few people started at Vetri sul Mare, at the base of the Amalfi/Sorrento peninsular and accessible by train from Naples, so this would be easily doable unassisted if anyone is ever in these parts with a folder :-). From Sorrento there's a train or hydrofoil back to Naples
The Amalfi side is spectacular and with no houses for long stretches and is flanked by the Galli islands within easy reach. There's a good campsite at Marina del Cantone(near the tip of the peninsular) called Villagio Nettuno and the more intrepid of the group got up at 4 am to make the crossing to Capri and back before we all set off for Sorrento on the 2nd day. The nicest part of day 2 was the beautifiul bay of Ieranto at the very tip of the peninsular (Punta Campanella), after that it's less remote/spectacular with more houses and crowded beaches, at least in the summer. Photo below from a cave near Positano.

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 pm 
forum fanatic

That's quite a photo ,Simon . From that ,and the description ,I reckon I should also look at the Italian coast for paddles as well (have gazed at Spain for a while -the various Costa's and history .(Paper paddle plans for later :D )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:44 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

There are so many choices here if you have a folding kayak - camping on the Cilento, Amalfi or Ischia coasts, day trips out to Procida and back with lunch at La Corricella fishing village, or an early morning ferry for a quick spin around Capri before lunch. You can even take a ferry to the islands of Ponza qnd Palmarola from Naples in the summer. The bays of Naples and Pozzuoli are however best avoided from late June to early September if possible due to the increased boat traffic, but still doable, especially early morning trips when the Neopolitans are still dozing, or early afternoons when they're having long holiday lunches :D

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:09 pm 
forum fan

Great place! I was in that area a few years ago, stayed in the village of Agerola, but not for kayaking just relaxing. Amalfi, Positano, Minori, Capri... such beautiful places. Definitely one of the best parts of the Mediterranean. I hope to return soon, but this time with my kayak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:35 pm 
recent arrival

Yeah I second the Cilento coast, my first multi day trip ever was from a hostel in Praia a Mare to Marina di Camerota and back, no problem slepping on little beaches that aren't accessible by road.