Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:18 am 
forum fan

Dear All,

I have another story from the Danube Delta for you, went there again this early September. This time I planned a different route, in the region between Sulina and Sf. Gheorghe branches, mostly due to low water in our favorite areas, north of Sulina. This is a very different delta but nonetheless wonderful. Again, I choose the lonely route as my friends went on fishing on the main Sf. Gheorghe branch. My wish this trip was to see the three mouths of the Danube in to the Black Sea. Started in Mahmudia, on the old Danube and the next day I arrived, following Litcov channel, at the Caraorman sand bank, passing the great lakes of Gorgova and Isacov. The following day I took the Vătafu-Împuţita channel through Macovei and Vătafu lakes and exited to the Sulina channel. Short stop to re-supply in Sulina and carried on to the old observer lighthouse, an great construction dating from 1870, where I spent an amazing night stargazing. Next day my kayak met the Black Sea, in the shallow but agitated waters of the Musura bay. After this I came back to Sulina to visit another wonderful monument of a bygone era, the observer lighthouse of the European Commission of the Lower Danube, now a small but nice museum. Followed the main channel almost out in to the sea, then a long and too straight channel south, ending my day on the shore of the sea, to witness a wonderful sunset and sunrise. The next day I went to meet with my friends on the Roşu lake, where we spent the night. A rough crossing of Roşu lake followed the next morning, with a strong sideway wind, but managed it in record time, 1 hour and twenty minutes. Next stop was the amazing village of Sf. Gheorghe, a quiet (now) settlement with sandy streets and smiling people. Went on to meet the sea at sunset then came back to meet again with my friends, ending up sleeping on the pier, next to my kayak, under a wonderful summer sky. The next day went out again to the sea, to experience a rough encounter between the old Danube and the Black Sea waters. We packed the kayaks and spent the night at some locals, with amazing local food and stories. We left Sf. Gheorghe knowing that we would be back... All the best, Calin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:21 am 
forum fan

Three more pictures. Enjoy, Calin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:01 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the great pics Calin, not many of us get to enjoy that special part of the world. Enjoy!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:05 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Great trip and gorgeous pictures. Thank you. Looks like a great spot to camp under that lighthouse, and it's great to see the T65 out and working as well. Very cool.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:40 pm 
forum fan

Thank you, yes, it is about as much space there to place a tent, not much more. It was enough though for a great sunset and sunrise, with a starry night in between. I have placed a geocache there, for guidance :D , see geocaching.com. The GPS track, along with my other 2015 adventures in the Delta are available here: http://www.ramblr.com/web/mymap/trip/148683
Yes, my good old Klepper (Igor) is still doing well, although it needs a new skin soon. Amazing boat, great on rough water and long runs, I have big plans for it.