Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parry Sound / Killbear
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:03 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hello Guys,

Just got back from an extended weekend helping friends open up their cottage near Parry Sound. Had absolutely stunning weather and the blueberry bushes were in full bloom. Fortunately the water was up, highest I've seen in years. Water temp was about 45-50F, probably lethal if you dump far from shore.

I took my Aerius 2 along and was looking forward to paddling it for the first time since I added a seat attachment point for solo paddling. Funning thing is that I bought the solo spray deck and spray skirt back in 1993 when I got the kayak.... Any rate the old girl handled great. I had to buy some extra chain to reach new forward position for the foot peddles for the rudder, but I'm very pleased with the set up.

If you are familiar with that area I paddled for several miles along the North shores of Rose and Parry islands throughout the weekend and then on Tuesday morning I paddled back to Killbear Marina where I had parked my car. If you've never visited that part of the world I highly recommend you go. The scenery and Geology are stunning and you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer place to kayak. Saw lots of wildlife including loons and even saw a couple of large Fox Snakes basking on the rocks.

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:44 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Barry,
I love paddling out in the 30 000 islands of Georgian Bay. I usually go in at Britt which is north of Parry Sound, south of French River. I usually paddle my Aerius 2 which is rigged for solo. This past winter I bought a solo expedition tuckunder spray skirt from Mark at Long Haul. I haven't tried it yet, but I bought it with hopes of paddling Superior's north shore. Never see any Kleppers out on the water in my travels, but some day I might... Thanks for sharing your report.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the tip, I might try that in September when I go back. I've been going up to Parry Sound since the late '60s with my parents. Always wanted to paddle down the Moon River (South of PS) or around Severn, though Moon River would probably be more fun with a canoe. Btw, I'm sure you'd agree that the Muskoka region is absolutely stunning in Fall!

In the past I've also taken my T9 up there, but this time of year I'll forego the nimbleness of the T9 for the security of paddling the Aerius 2 solo. I enjoy swimming in Georgian Bay in September/October when the water is about 16C, but don't want to go into the drink several hundred meters from shore in the Spring when it's about 8C!

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65