The Odyssey; Adventures of the Kaptain

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Kapitän von Klepper

The Odyssey; Adventures of the Kaptain

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

Rumor has it Tsunamichuck and the Kaptain plan to paddle together in Nevada on Friday, but the weather has gone pear shaped in Colorado and the Kaptain's flight is grounded until Eisenhower and Vail Pass are opened.

Will Chuck and Andreas be able to paddle on Saturday? Stay Tuned.
Last edited by Kapitän von Klepper on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by chrstjrn »

Sunny and 70s in Geneva... it seems the term "Indian Summer" has jumped between cultures...

Didn't make it out on the water, though.
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

Kapitän von Klepper

Billions of blue blistering barnicles! Ten thousand thundering typhoons! Spoil Sport! :wink:

Weather is looking worse here. At this rate I'll need to postpone my flight out of Portland OR on Monday. Maybe I'll see if someone in Oregon wants to paddle too?

tsunamichuck

Fair weather on the way

Post by tsunamichuck »

Saturday is calling for fair skies and 75. Jun can join us too on Saturday.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Kapitän von Klepper

OK, Cleared for take-off. I'll be careful. Probably check in here from a hotel tonight.

tsunamichuck

Plan is for Pyramid Lake

Post by tsunamichuck »

Saturday Oct 28th. Andreas, give me a buzz when you hit the road tomorrow.
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Kapitän von Klepper

Made it to Green River UT. Road report's bark was a lot worse than its bite. I didn't want to wait as there were plenty of predictions of more to come. That should make Tom happy! :wink: BTW, I clicked my own links to the cams on the passes above and they both showed "Image not available" -I was imagining they were covered in snow. :?

Image Image
Coming up the hill out of Denver, a reminder to drive conservatively. Passing Chief Hosa, so far so good.

Image Image
This portion of the road was closed until 2 PM today, still snow packed. Saw 2 vehicles in the ditch, both 4x4's :twisted: Eisenhower Tunnel looking good.

Image Image
Starting up Vail Pass, not bad at all. Near the top of Vail Pass, just a little slush and snow pack.

Light was too bad after this for pics. Pavement was dry after Vail, coming up on the Colorado River.

Chuck: I should be to Reno by dinner time. Beer's on me if you know a good place. I'll phone you in the morning when I get on the road.

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

I love the blow by blow. Thanks for the little drama, guys! And I hope you have a great time paddling!
Chris T.
Klymit Packraft
In storage in the US:
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind
'64 Klepper T12
Early '90s Old Town Canoe
Previous:
'04 Pakboat Puffin II
'05 Swift (prototype)
'84 Hobie 16.

tsunamichuck

The Kapitan

Post by tsunamichuck »

made it to Fallon, about an hour out. Hopefully he will make the turn toward Reno and not head into Carson City. Although not that big of a detour, there are some rather tempting roadside attractions on US 50 outside of Carson City.
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Kapitän von Klepper

Made it. Writing from Chuck's living room. Jun, Chuck & I went out for supper and had a gossip session about all you people. :wink:

Weather was great from Vail onward. Had a headwind in Utah that really gulped down my fuel. I was trying to keep it up to 80 mph, but that left the turbo engaged and seemed to double my fuel consumption. By Nevada the head wind died and I could put the steam up a bit.

Weather looks like it'll be great for paddling tomorrow. :)

-Andreas

krudave
Site Admin

Re: The Kapitan

Post by krudave »

tsunamichuck wrote: there are some rather tempting roadside attractions on US 50 outside of Carson City.
I think I've seen those -- kinda garish, lonely houses, all lit up, with several 4WD pickups parked outside?
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Kheya Shunka

Post by Kheya Shunka »

kapitan .. you should have stopped at one of those roadside attractions. As concientious paddlers and generally good citizens, we need to make sure they are following safe procedures, you know like the girls are all wearing their PFD's and stuff like that.

tsunamichuck

Nice Day and a great paddle.

Post by tsunamichuck »

The Kaptain and I had a nice paddle on Pyramid Lake. Switched boats for a bit. Temps in the high 60s, sunny and calm. Pics are posted to my album. The Kapitan was offered a partnership in my latest business venture. A friend and I are in negotiations with a couple of the brothels along the Carson River and one along the Truckee. We will guide clients down river in inflatable boats. The takeout will be at one of Nevada's infamous brothels. Nevada Paddle N'Whore should be in business next spring. The boats may be inflatable, but the women are not. The Kaptain declined the offer.
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

Kapitän von Klepper

krudave wrote:I think I've seen those -- kinda garish, lonely houses, all lit up, with several 4WD pickups parked outside?
Are those the places with red lights? My Mama warned me about those...
Kheya Shunka wrote:kapitan .. you should have stopped at one of those roadside attractions. As concientious paddlers and generally good citizens, we need to make sure they are following safe procedures, you know like the girls are all wearing their PFD's and stuff like that.
tsunamichuck wrote:The Kapitan was offered a partnership in my latest business venture... The Kaptain declined the offer.
There seems to be a conflict of interests here. :? The Coast Guard wants the girls to wear their PFD's and the clients want to take them off. :? And there seems to be some confusion as to the proper use of the paddles. :?

My confidence in Chuck's business sense was shaken a little today...
He doesn't seem to know which way is up. :? ...

We had a great paddle today which I'll try to write up in a narrative with pictures soon...

-Andreas

Did I mention the Coast Guard didn't approve of red lights being displayed on the starboard side?

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

Kaptain von Klepper wrote:Did I mention the Coast Guard didn't approve of red lights being displayed on the starboard side?
I can believe that. A complete digression: 5 years ago Becky and I came up from Death Valley to Tonopah on Highway 95, one evening, and spotted a couple of these "establishments," all lit up, pickups cloistered around each like sucklings on a sow, and were puzzled why they were so remote from any towns or cities. I mean, they were in the middle of nowhere! :wink:

When we hit our motel in Tonopah, we asked about that, and the check-in clerk explain that the one which had been in Tonopah was defunct, a casualty of a local morals crusade ... oh, now we get it! Those houses of ill repute were out in the puckerbrush to get away from the Chamber of Commerce!

Later, we figured out another reason: if they were in town, wives would spot the pickups of their hubbies, and more trouble would ensue! :lol:

Nevada -- ya gotta love it! :D
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Return to “Trip Reporting”