Musandam Peninsula, Oman

A place to tell about trips you've taken

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

kayakamper

Post by kayakamper »

Great job Paul, Thanks for bringing it back. I too missed it. We are probebly the few that have ever paddled there. As I have mentioned to you before, We lived in the U.A.E. fron August '03 to June '05.

Muscat, The Musandam, Nizwa, Sur and many other places in Oman were our favorite places to travel while we lived near by.

Just in case I have not sent it to you, check out
http://www.chrisandbethtravels.com and check out our kayaking photos to see where we have crossed paths....if at another time.

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

Paul wrote:Yes, I submitted it to Sea Kayaker and it was rejected. They said it was written too much in newsletter style (whatever that means), and was not descriptive enough; it didn't describe the scene enough to give the reader a sense of being there.
I know what they mean; they want the narrative "pumped up" as you read in mags like Sunset (or other travel magazines), much as a "travel writer" might do it.

Personally, I really dislike that style of writing; I much prefer your narrative style.

Frankly, the direction SK mag has gone the last year or two turns me off; the writing is blowsy and full of air, and it does not have the gritty attitude it used to.

But, we live in cultures which adulate airheads like Paris and Britney, who are "famous for being well known." What hogwash. :evil:
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Paul
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Paul »

I just noticed that when I was copying the article to this site and inserting pictures, I inadvertanly left out day one's section. For some reason, only sections of the article can be pasted at a time if one wants to insert photos (paste a section of writing in, insert photo, then another section of writing, then a photo....). Anyway, I think I have the full article up now.

Dave, I enjoy SK mainly for the kayak reviews and some of the parts on improving technique. I, too, have a hard time reading the destination and journey articles.

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

Paul wrote: For some reason, only sections of the article can be pasted at a time if one wants to insert photos (paste a section of writing in, insert photo, then another section of writing, then a photo....).

I think I know what you mean. Whenever I stick in an image tag ("Img" in the menu bar aove the composition window), it always goes to the end of the text in the window, no matter where my cursor is. If that would put the photo in an incorrect place, I go down and cut and paste the image tag, complete with gobbledegook in the middle. Seems to work, but it is kind of a PITA.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Return to “Trip Reporting”