Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:44 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Pardon my braggadocio, but I'm very proud of my personal best just achieved (after 3 unpack-repack attempts) to fit EVERYTHING I will need for kayaking on my upcoming trip to the UK (via Iceland) into a bag that meets all the most recent restrictive airline parameters for the "free bag". This will be the first overseas flight for this boat.

Believe it or not, this stuffed 30" x 18" x 14" rolling duffel, weighing 48 pounds, contains all of the following:

- 12' Pakboat Puffin folding kayak
- 4-piece Cannon carbon kayak paddle
- inflatable roof rack and straps (for rental car -- I reserved a Citroen C4 Cactus station wagon)
- PFD
- full spray skirt
- knee high Kokatat paddling boots
- Speedo swimsuit and rashguard shirt
- Goretex paddling pants and jacket
- Hydroskin jacket
- kayaking gloves and hat
- 2 inflatable flotation bags for the kayak
- hand pump to inflate kayak tubes and roof rack
- two dry bags
- cable lock (to secure kayak to car)

I didn't think to lay out all the stuff and photograph it before the final packing, but I might do that when I get to Yorkshire (providing the bag survives the journey).

The duffel itself was a great find at $34.99 at a Ross Dress for Less store, which always have great deals on brand name large rolling duffels for some reason -- this is a Lucas and is very well constructed. The single full length side pocket is foam padded and handily fits a 4-piece paddle and the rolled up spray skirt and float bags for more cushioning.

Now, fingers crossed to see what the troglodyte baggage handlers can do to it on the 3 legs of my journey.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

What a great job, and good choice of kayak for this :D

I'm curious about the inflatable roof rack, not so much why you'd need one as what make is it etc

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:02 pm 

I got a Malone HR20 rack like this:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/mal ... nfltblrpsr

Though I got it for under $45 on line somewhere. It worked quite nicely and was very compact to travel with. I rented a Citroen Cactus wagon, which has a long low flat roof with lateral factory bars. The inflatable crossbars strapped through the inside of the car across the ceiling and run under the lateral bars. They cushioned the boat and protected it from scuffing the rental car. I strapped the boat to the factory bars on the car but also strapped it to the d-rings attached to the inflatable rack tubes and did bow and stern lines to the bumpers.

If you had a car without the factory bars, you could also run long lash straps for the boat through the roof or rely on secure bow and stern attachments to the car as backup to the strapping to the inflatable rack. I would not use the rack alone for any heavy boat but it was ideal for a folder. It was very nicely made and looks like it should hold up well. I can see it being useful for any car owner who doesn't have a permanent rack on their car -- it fits in its own little stuff sack and can fit in a glove box or under the seat. Takes just minutes to inflate and strap on. Cool product.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:01 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks fior that. What a brilliant idea and one that might come in handy for my trip back to NZ this August - I'm taking a folder back with me for the first time and assembling it in a nice warm garage rather than heavy rain sounds like much more fun

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm 

Here's a follow-up album of photos showing everything I packed in that bag with the folding kayak that I took from the US to the UK, plus some shots of paddling there and how I used the inflatable Malone roof rack on the rental car. I have to say that IcelandAir took good care of the checked bag and everything came back intact:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodl ... 1327686552

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15