Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belize?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm 
recent arrival

I'm planning to take my Feathercraft Heron to Belize for a couple of weeks across Oct/Nov this year. Though the web is full of little day trips with rented kayaks, I've failed to find anything about independent touring. There might be a couple of good reasons for this ...

Crocodiles. Though I'm not worried about these while actually kayaking, it's apparently generally not recommended to camp on beaches where they might be about. Since most mainland beaches are likely surrounded by mangroves, and the offshore cayes are tiny, this might be difficult to avoid.

Private cayes - a lot of these seem to be thronged with resorts. Is it possible/easy to find a quiet spot to camp away from the commercial operations, without getting hunted down by park guards etc.

I'd be very happy to hear from anyone who has done anything like this.

Thanks, Martin

Post subject: Re: Belize?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:52 pm 
forum fan

Hi,
My wife and I did that a few years ago. Not a problem at all. We spent 12 days kayaking and camping. There is a lot of islands. We planned to camp on the uninhabited islands but ended up camping on the private islands a lot. You just ask permission from the caretaker (most owner come a few days a year and there is usualy only a caretaker on the island) and they are often happy to see people. Even on resort islands, it is possible to do. We camped on two resort islands after asking permission. We found that inhabited islands had much less sandflies than those that were empty of people but full of mangroves. Overall, we prefer people over sandflies :lol:

I wouldn't worry about crocs at all.

I think you find information about organized trips because those are the trips that companies can make money with. It is always like that. Do-it-yourself trips are done, but not advertized.

By all means do it. It is easy. Inside the reef is very protected. Snorkeling is good. Birding too. I would says sandflies are the biggest danger you will face.

Post subject: Re: Belize?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:25 am 
recent arrival

Brilliant - thanks for that info, much appreciated. I too will choose people over sandflies anyday