Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:12 pm 
I'm planning a multi-week trip in August down the length of the Connecticut River to Long Island Sound in my Klepper A-1, and possibly from there down to NYC or up to Providence. Currently, I am considering starting the trip as far up river as Pittsburg, NH.

I'm interested in hearing of any experiences on the CT River and LI Sound, especially with respect to:
1) Difficulty of portages around the numerous dams (I'll be taking a Klepper boat cart along with me)
2) Typical river conditions in August, especially the upper stretches between Pittsburg, NH and Hanover, NH. (apparently up to class II rapids in some stretches, and possibility of low water levels that might make paddling problematic at some points) -- I've also been warned about variable discharges from the dams that can rapidly affect river level and conditions for seveal miles below the dams
3) Camping possibilities along the LI Sound coastline either toward Providence or NYC.

I have the excellent "Complete Boating Guide to the Connecticut River "(Connecticut River Watershed Council) and also "River Days, Exploring the Connecticut River From Source To Sea" by Michael Touglas (Appalachian Mountain Club Books) and also expect to reconnoiter some of the river south of Pittsburg via car next week, but would appreciate any reports that others may be able to offer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:59 pm 
How did your trip turn out? I'm interested in similar trips.