Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More airline charges
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:34 pm 
They tighten the noose every year now. Those planning to fly should better check restrictions of their particular airline. If you can't find your airline's homepage, go to http://www.seatguru.com/ - airlines are listed alphabetically in the left menu, ignore the summary (it may be outdated), and follow the link to airline homepage.

Few weeks ago Alaska/Horizon, major carrier on the West Coast, started charging $20 per EACH checked bag EACH way. Plus, usual charges for overweight bags. In my case it means total $130 extra from Vancouver BC to Loreto Mex.

Horrified, I checked 2 other airlines - Air Canada and United Airlines. Their tickets cost $80 more, but I hoped extra charges would be less. No dice - it turned out that Alaska was the best option. AirC doesn't take bags over 70 lbs, very inconvenient, and total charges are $265. UA charges $130 same as Alaska, though via a different method. (Besides, tickets from AirC and UA cost more than from Alaska). Neither AirC nor UA fly all the way from Vancouver to Loreto, but they operate the 1st leg of the route (to LA), and rules of the 1st leg apply until you reach destination.

Nothing new, just sign of the times we living in. As fuel costs are rising, there will be more charges.

Post subject: Re: More airline charges
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Might be worth it to go from Seattle??
This is getting a bit crazy. Love Southwest, hopefully they will get international routes.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:42 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

...and at some point it makes sense to by your gear a seat on the plane. What a pain.

g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:13 pm 
forum fanatic

You raise a good point Alex. Flying with a folder internationally is becoming more expensive and tedious with every passing year. This past fall, we flew with Delta from Greece to the US with a Folbot Cooper. As seasoned travelers with folders, expecting a typical check-in process, we were in for a surprise. The ticket agent informed us that the Folbot bag was oversize and we had to cough up €200. :x

Although, the agent did not check the bag with a tape measure, she was quick to point out that the bag was oversize. We did not argue and even after a polite exchange with the supervisor, we could not convince them otherwise. We explained that we have flown with the same bag countless times with no oversize fees but they did not budge. Needless to say, we did not pay the exorbitant fee and we flew without the kayak. We have been flying with folders for almost a decade and this was the first time we got hit with an oversize fee. It's ironic that a couple years ago we flew with a Folbot GII in two oversize bags, one of them a huge 70lbs hockey bag, and no extra fees.

It seems that flying with baggage will be a luxury sooner than later. The times they are a-changin... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:14 pm 
sasha wrote:
This past fall, we flew with Delta from Greece to the US with a Folbot Cooper. As seasoned travelers with folders, expecting a typical check-in process, we were in for a surprise. The ticket agent informed us that the Folbot bag was oversize and we had to cough up €200.

Shh!... I hope paying $20 each way for every bag, plus overweight charge on one bag, will keep them happy and they'll forget about few inches oversized bag with sail rig (about the size of GII frame bag)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:09 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Its going to get really fun trying to bring my sectional over to China..

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light