Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air travel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:04 pm 
forum fanatic

United airlines/ continental has a $100 one way fee for "kayaks" under 100 lb And 156". I doubt they had folders in mind but that is certainly less than 3 bags and size restrictions. Anyone try it?
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content ... ports.aspx

Alex
NY, lake Tahoe
Long Haul mk 2, kayaksailor

Eddyline whisper
Stellar ST 17
Kayaksailor 1.6

Last edited by Alex on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Air travel
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

1. Fly Southwest in the US
2. Pack heavy for your carry on. I will sometimes carry part of my frame in my carryon bag
3. Ship some of your gear ahead
4 Get an inflatable like a Helios
5 Take Amtrak or Greyhound
6 Fake a seizure when checking in

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:44 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

1 more
Build a Yost Kayak

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:37 pm 
forum fanatic

My wife and I were able to take two faltboots (a Pionier 450wa and a Klepper Slalom 59) back from Germany on Lufthansa Economy Class at no extra charge. The reasons: 1. The hulls and ribs were packed in the factory backpacks and did not exceed baggage dimensions or weight. On an international flight, we were allowed to check one bag at no extra charge. 2. We put the two longeron bags in old ski bags (Lufthansa has no extra charge for skis) and they didn't ask if there were skis in the bags. They just sailed thru. 3. The rest of our stuff was in approved carry-ons.

So, you might try to check your longerons and paddles as skis (after all they are sporting goods). You might get lucky as we did. It probably helped that our final destination was Aspen, Colorado.

Klepper A I & II
Klepper T- 9
Klepper T-65
Klepper T-66
Klepper T-67
Klepper SL-59
Klepper Vagabund 1929
Pionier 520 Z
Hammer Wandereiner
Hart Sioux Turbillon
Gesa Moell
Chauveau Slalom
Chauveau Greenland Style Sea Kayak
Gesa Slalom 58

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:25 am 
Alex wrote:
Any ideas on getting around new weight and size restrictions?

"New" where? :wink: Or - since when?

Because they seem to add more restrictions every couple of years. As to the Q asked, and staying within the subject of commercially made folders, the answer would be - "none".

You may try another airline, but on some routes there is no "other airline".
You may try and load your carry-on bag up to 60 or 70 lbs, they seldom check its weight, at least in North America. I did this a few times because already had a hernia, and wouldn't do it now since got my hernia repaired.

Amtrack train is often a poor choice. Ticket in a coach car from, say, Seattle WA to San Diego CA costs the same as one-way air ticket, and this is sitting in "coach" car for 40 hours with hardly any sleep and eating expensive sh-t in train restaurant. No, thanks.

Greyhound bus is same bad as Amtrack train. It is usually faster (don't know why), yet about 30 hours for the same Seattle - San Diego route, and with less comfort than train. Besides, Greyhound has stricter luggage rules than Amtrack.

Shipping things ahead - may be, it depends where. On international flights, including "sort of" international leg from Canada to US or Mexico, it may be cheaper to pay airline overweight charges than shipping. Not to mention timing (low-cost shipping has unpredictable delivery time), and inconvenience and costs related to spending half a day or full day and night in town where you pick it up, before taking a bus or cab to your real destination. And there are often customs dues on international shipments, even when it's some old stuff.

And there is nothing else - again, within the subject of commercial folders. Beyond the subject of folders - yes, there are options. You might go for inflatables - those are not folders; very little weight savings (if any) with boat of same size, though they are less bulky in bag. Helios will weigh less than much larger Klepper, but not less than comparable size Citibot. Don't get me wrong - there are paddling situations where inflatable is better than a folder. But, unless you need and like inflatable for reasons other than lower airline charges - it's not worth getting. Airlines are concerned more about overweight than oversize - there is enough room in cargo hold because not everyone on board is a die-hard folding kayaker, but every pound of weight means extra fuel, and the industry is already struggling with high fuel costs. Or you can get a vacation shack or an old trailer in some place where you fly to every winter anyway, and a dugout canoe, and fly with a fishing pole and few clothes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 pm 
faltbootemeister

tsunamichuck wrote:
1 more
Build a Yost Kayak

Heh. I am heading down to Baja next week packing a Helios, and my paddling partner is packing his Yostwerks. Flying Alaska with a $20 per bag charge. I figure I should be able to get boat, paddles and etc into a bag under 50lbs. The Yostwerks might be tricky.