Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 pm 
From Kaw Point in KC to The Big Easy: how long* would you estimate it would take an average paddler in a exceptionally stable :) but not exceptionally fast kayak? Timing would be roughly October this year.

Any wild guesses appreciated and no I won't hold you to them...

TIA.

*I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest my average speed will be a bit less than this lot. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The river will probably be running about 2.5mph, maybe a little more if you have a really wet fall. Without pushing it you could make 3.5mph average, and you can manage 30 miles per day, which would make this a 3-3.5 week trip. Unless you have winds from the S-SE, then all bets are off :-)

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:40 pm 
Thanks.

As it turns out me doing that trip is now extremely unlikely... however, tomorrow I set off from Kaw Point hoping to make Coopers Landing near Columbia MO in a few days so I guess something is better than nothing.

It'll still be a big deal to me! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Take pics and share, if you can. If you don't have pics it never happened :-)

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:08 pm 
I hear you. :wink:

http://moron.smugmug.com/Boats/Newfound ... &k=PjjgpN5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Good stuff, thanks. Was that you in Newfoundland? Long way from Missouri, I think.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:59 pm 
Yup it was me... quite the learning experience, too. :shock:

Looking south toward the lighthouse atop the NE corner of Bell Island: Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

At the start of the video to the left you can see the sea cave I was too gutless erm circumspect to try to go through... it would take a better man or woman than me to do it in those conditions. <insert paranoid emoticon>

The clicking noise is not my teeth chattering :D : there's a bug in the Olympus camera which is a result of the autofocus struggling, or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:02 pm 
Success

I took the Jefferson Lines bus from Bentonville Monday morning 9.23.2013 and put in at Kaw Point at 1337; landed at Cooper's Landing 1118 9.27.2013 with a moving average of 4.8 MPH. I put the paddle to it vigorously riding the current passing a wing dike and topped out briefly at 8.6 MPH - who knew a Folbot Yukon could go that fast?

I spent a day relaxing at CL (which I highly recommend - great people, great atmosphere and great food - loved being there) and the significant other picked me up today to head back home.

Another learning experience: the immense power of the water moving is humbling... if you screw up (not that it's really technical - you just don't want to be too close to one of the wing dikes) it could get ugly fast.

All in all a very large time was had.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:20 am 
Part of me REALLY wants to rail against armchair warriors (it's all in Romans 2:1 :oops: ) but I've a feeling this isn't the proper forum.

Day 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:25 pm 
Day 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Great stuff, thanks for the pics. Did not realize the river was so wide there. Did you stay at known (mapped) campsites? And what was that crazy spider? I thought it was an octopus at first glance!

Thanks again for sharing,

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:33 pm 
gbellware wrote:
Did not realize the river was so wide there.

More wide than deep, I think. :wink:

Quote:
Did you stay at known (mapped) campsites?

I avoided places where anyone might insist I have a 'permit' and no one appeared to give a durn... IME it's long odds you're going to see a landowner or a park ranger type so I merely landed where it looked like a comparatively nice place to camp - there were many although sometimes you'll go a few miles between them. You quickly learn to expect one behind wing dikes... I did make a point of trying to get off the water no later than one hour before sunset.

Once I set up camp I waved friendly like to any power boaters happening by to garner good will, and every morning I was gone before the sun rose. IMO it's not a river where people are particularly looking for problems with other people setting up camp, and I didn't start any fires.

The general principle is it's easier to get forgiveness than permission. :D

I took my Hennessy hammock hoping to hang it (it's SO comfortable) between trees but the still significant undergrowth pretty much ruled out that option - I refuse to even get close to poisonous plants. :shock: Yes, I remain a wuss. :mrgreen:

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Please note Days 4 & 5 have a second page but this forum limits you to five urls per post.

Hope someone enjoys any of this.

Last edited by grace on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:35 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Really good stuff Rojo, thanks for sharing. For those of us lucky enough to have kayak camped on big rivers, it really is special. You can feel the power in some of your pics. And every day is a completely different experience. One of my favorite quotes: "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man" (or woman).

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Torqeedo outboard