Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medway Canoe Trail
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:08 pm 
forum fanatic

Has anyone shot the weirs on the Medway Canoe Trail in Kent (U.K.) in a skin on frame kayak and emerged unscathed? Is this an advisable course of action? It looks like great fun but not if it is injurious to one's craft.

Malcolm Tierney

Post subject: Re: Medway Canoe Trail
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:30 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Malcolm,
We took my Ally canoe (pvc skin on aluminium frame) down a few of the less fierce shoots a few years ago. It was fine and emerged unscathed. (Tip, move the bow paddler back a station so that you are bow light or he's likely to get a lap full of water.) I've forgotten which of the shoots they are but there are a couple that are a bit steeper, and my friends (who were in that boat that trip) declined to go down those. We did watch an inflatable go down the steepest one (which has a reputation) a couple of times, while we portaged around, and they looked like they were having a lot of fun. But of course they don't have a frame to break/bend and the flex was noticeable when they hit the water at the bottom--I would imagine that might put a lot of strain on an aluminium or wooden frame.
You might get some more tips on this from the (more UK-based) Song of the Paddle website. The thing to watch out for would be if there are any warnings about of odd angle-iron or anything else that might cause scrapes or punctures. (I think one of the Medway environment agency people posts on sotp under the name of Medway Squirrel--he should have up to date info.)
Let us know how you get on.
Ian

Post subject: Re: Medway Canoe Trail
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:16 pm 
forum fanatic

Thank you very much Ian.
Malcolm