Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:58 am 
forum fanatic

Heading off to SE Alaska this summer with a friend to complete a trip that has been pending for several years. I would love to know what everyone's favorite deck bag is. I would prefer one with straps that could be used in a pinch to make it into a day pack. There are a lot of options out there. This bag would be seriously put the wringer this summer, so any advice on what is best would be great!

I am also planning on picking up a sport fishing license for the summer. Any favorite recommendations for a reliable, compact rod that is stout enough to handle pacific rockfish and the occasional salmon?

Many thanks to those who helped me navigate the folding kayak online world back in 2014. Glad to say this trip is finally happening. Our vessels of choice are a K1 (for me) and a Khat (for my buddy). Below is a link to my trip website a friend helped build for me.

freeburnbound.cphelan.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:36 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome back Freeburn and congrats on getting your trip together.
Deckbag? I really don't care for complicated deck bags, I don't like anything on the deck period :( But on long trips I do use a simple, small Sealine drybag for daily essentials. I just tuck in under the deck cords and clip a short tether through the clasp just for extra safety.
The cause you guys are supporting is really special to me. We raised our kids in Baltimore and spent many memorable days in the Chesapeake Basin. Heck, I even did the 4.4 mile Bridge Swim when I was young (30 years ago). And we were there from the mid-'80's through the '90's and watched, with real sorrow, as the Bay got so polluted that the crabs dried up and the stripers disappeared. Now, I understand, through some aggressive conservancy from folks like you, the Bay is back! Maybe not all the way but certainly on the right track.
I would like to support your trip with the loan of my Garmin GPS (it has Bluechart that covers SE Alaska) and a very good ICOM floating marine radio. I am not using them this summer and, if you would like to borrow them for the trip, just let me know.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:36 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Not sure about deck bags but I have had very good luck with telescopic fishing rods. They are quite popular in Europe and I've seen them used for Pike fishing in Prague. The challenge will be finding them here in the states. A friend brought one back from France for me recently... I like them. Very tough and obviously they can be quite compact, especially with a spinning reel with a folding handle.

As far as length you'll probably want to be able to work the tip around either end of the boat with a little bit of arm extension.

Whatever rod you end up with, take the bottom plug out, punch a hole in the center of the plug and thread a loop of good line out the bottom end (knotted on the inside), this will give you a loop to clip a carabiner onto so you won't lose your pole to Davey Jones if you lose your balance or need to deal with some other fishing calamity. Actually I have all my gear clipped in one way or another while fishing... most of that stuff likes to sink rapidly... I once had a fish pull a rod right out of the boat... that sucked.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:46 am 
forum fanatic

Hi DLee & gbellware,

I apologize for the delayed response! I don't know what happened...I think I accidentally logged out, and didn't get any alerts. I really appreciate your advice both in regards to the fishing pole, as well as the deck bag. For a trip like this where I plan on some hiking days along the way I picked up a small dry bag with backpack straps that will double as a day pack and deck bag.

gbellware, thanks for your comments about our cause! I feel terrible because I would have been more than happy to take you up on your GPS and radio borrowing offer, but in our gear planning shuffle we ended up picking up a DeLorme inReach (they gave us a nice discount thankfully), and my buddy has a marine vhf radio.

DLee, great info about the telescoping rods. Actually, just a few weeks ago this company Emmrod that we had contacted about possible sponsorship sent us two of their rods. Check them out if you are curious...they are interesting designs. Short, but stout. The pole detaches easily to nest with the handle which makes it very packable. I tested it out this past weekend with some smallmouth bass fishing on the Youghiogheny River of western PA. Fun little rod that casts surprisingly well considering the length! I am looking forward to going after some bigger stuff in AK.

Less than a month away from setting off! Needless to say, we are both rather excited. Using the DeLorme GPS we are planning on making the intro to our website a semi-live update map with our location. Should be fun to follow along if you are interested.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:37 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Freeburn,

Click "subscribe topic" in the upper left of any thread or any area of the site. You will get an email for any activity, even when you are looged out.

People who post "intros" in the proper section get approved as members of the forum faster than others, since I have a "subscribe topic" alert set up on all intros...

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:19 pm 
forum fanatic

Subscribed, thanks chrstjrn!