Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am 
recent arrival

So amazing to find this great site !

My wife and I are quite new to recreational paddling and are keen to introduce it now to our kids.

Initial interest is in learning more about entry-level foldable/packable boats.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help and to the admin for providing such an info-rich forum.

Rgds...
- John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:02 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hello John and welcome to the Endangered Species Kayak Forum. I've not had the pleasure of a visit to Switzerland and so I can only imagine what joy it must be to paddle those lovely alpine lakes. I wonder if they're as idyllic I like to think them to be. :D

Best Wishes,
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jake.

Indeed it is incredibly beautiful here. Like paddling through a painting. :-)

Rgds...
- John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:38 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hello, and welcome! You may want to investigate Pakboat folding kayaks as you research your potential purchase of boats. They have a good range of models for reasonable prices. Though based in the USA (New Hampshire) the owner is from Norway and they are available in Europe. Plus, being quite light and compact when packed, they can be shipped anywhere.

Their Puffin models are quite nice for "entry level" though they are well made and quite seaworthy for lakes, rivers and sheltered coastlines. They are easy to assemble and for family use their tandems, like the Saranac and XT-16 sea kayak, can be configured as a solo boat for adults or fitted with two seats so a child can paddle with a parent. They can also be used with or without the optional decks.

The Pakboat website underwent an upgrade last year but it does not yet have the galleries of photos of the boats in use that the old one had, which is a shame. But you can find videos on YouTube of people assembling and using their kayaks and canoes to get a sense of the products. The company is small and very responsive to customers. You can call them if you have questions and will get to talk to a real person. Alv Elvestad, the owner, is also a regular participant in this forum and you can contact him with questions. He is often traveling so sometimes it takes a while but I have always heard back from him over the years and he has been helpful. Contact is info@pakboats.com

With the closing of Feathercraft and Folbot in recent years (two of the leading makers of quality folding kayaks) the choices are more limited now than they used to be. The rise in popularity of stand up paddleboards and inflatable kayaks has reduced demand for folders and even hard shell kayaks, here in the USA.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am 
recent arrival

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
Hello, and welcome! You may want to investigate Pakboat folding kayaks ......

Thanks for the kayak lead but I'm actually seeking a foldable canoe that could go as airplane checked baggage without exceeding the dimensional or weight limits - - typically 63 linear inches / 50 lbs (160cm / 23kg).

As I'm in Switzerland it will be used just for pleasant paddling on the lakes and never on whitewater with sharp rocks etc.

I wonder... Given the above, does anything like this exist?

Rgds...
- John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Pakboat makes folding canoes as well. I'll post a link below to statistics on the models, ranging from 38 to 56 lbs. Their stock duffel bags are fairly generous at 35" x 14" x 18". That is 67 unified inches but I fit my Pakboat kayaks into smaller travel bags than what they supply and I am willing to bet you can do that with the canoes. I bought a rolling duffel bag that fits my Puffin, paddle, safety gear and all my paddling clothing and buoyancy aid and the bag is 62 unified inches and 48 pounds. if you split some of the components into another bag you can meet the baggage guidelines on most folders of any kind.

Here is the link : http://pakboats.com/pakcanoes/

Ally is another maker of a range of similar folding canoes, from 39 to 50 pounds. Here is a link to a UK seller: https://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections/ally-canoes

And here is a link showing how I packed my 12' Pakboat plus 4 piece carbon paddle and ALL my paddling kit in one bag that checked free on Icelandair.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodl ... 1327686552

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15