Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:55 pm 
as being one newbe to the forum, I would like to introduce myself. I am 42 and live in Germany.
My interest it is in kayaking especially wooden kayaks, racing kayaks, but also folbots. I have got some old time folbots: PAX M3b 2-seater 1955, Hammer 2-seater about 1967, Hart Hecht (Pike) 1-seater from 1958, Hart Hecht 1-seater 1968, Klepper T9 from the 70s. I have got one wooden kayak and two danish racing kayaks, the Limfjorden and the Sprinter.
We have had so many companies building folbots here but beside Klepper and Pouch hundreds had died since the 60s. I like my oldies, their stable all solid wood construction that nobody would build and sell nowadays because of costs. I am also interested in modern kayaks, looking for a used Birgit Fischer Nautiraid or something similar in the future days.
Hoping to have a great time here and to share some experience with u.
best regards, Knownknight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:30 am 
Welcome welcome! That sounds like quite a collection! I'd love to see some pictures.

Nohoval

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:01 pm 
Yes, welcome! I would also like to see pictures of your old boats. Chris

Post subject: Hi!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 pm 
Thank you! I will do asap. My folbots are packed at the very moment and outside it is snowing...
Do you like old time folbots too? Look what i'd found here not very long ago: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0048663591
Berger implemented the so called rubber-buffer bow and stern (i don't know the word in english) to his folbots. He did it before 1930 and this folbot is without. It also has only 6 ribs and the Berger 2-seaters from the 30s had 7 ribs. The logo reads just Berger and not Sport-Berger, so this kayak should be from the 20s. WOW, very old! Not many of them had survived! Looks like a great project for somebody located in the US.

regards, Knownknight

Post subject: Re: Hi!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:39 am 
Knownknight wrote:
Do you like old time folbots too? Look what i'd found here not very long ago: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0048663591
Berger implemented the so called rubber-buffer bow and stern (i don't know the word in english) to his folbots. He did it before 1930 and this folbot is without. It also has only 6 ribs and the Berger 2-seaters from the 30s had 7 ribs. The logo reads just Berger and not Sport-Berger, so this kayak should be from the 20s.

It is sure much lighter than Klepper AEII or Longhaul MKII. Though, for a 2-seater with 2 people weight is less important than for 1-seater. The guy coudln't sell it - I guess if anybody contacts him, he might give it away for $50. But then, its original hull at that age isn't worth repairing, and new hull might cost more than $1500 from Longhaul. Though, if somebody can make his own hull, this is a different story...