Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Misawa Japan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:30 pm 
I’m new at kayaking and I have been posting a few questions here and there, so I figure it is time to introduce myself.

I’m a civilian working in Misawa (U.S.) Airbase, Japan. I will be here for at least another year, so if I’m to get a chance to paddle the north of Japan this will probably be it. I’m more of a winter person, doing back country snowboarding up in the Hakkoda Mountains. Unlike most people, I actually lose weight in the winter, and pick it up on the summer months :roll: yet another reason to pickup kayaking.

If you are already in Japan or plan on swinging by, go ahead and email me. I’m always looking for an excuse to go hiking, skiing. Once I get my boat, I won’t need much cajoling to get me to pick you at the train station to go kayaking some of the amazing lakes and coasts.

Speaking of boats, the wife is getting a Puffin kayak 12’. She is strictly a calm water person. Maybe just a few bumps for fun but that is about it. I was thinking about getting a Wayland Harpoon, but recent discussions are leaning me towards a Folbot Kodiak. I still have a month before my finances are in order, which means that I still have some time to figure things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:41 pm 
Welcome - and don't "take to the bank" everything I said "against" wooden frames in the other thread. Especially since I never owned that particular aluminum frame - Kodiak (owned 3 other aluminum frames and 1 very high-quality wooden, though). Darkened spots on the wood (points of water ingress) do appear here and there, and have to be dealt with, but same as aluminum etching they won't destroy the frame in a few years. My point merely was that wooden frames require same degree of care as aluminum ones. Eventually dilemma "wood VS aluminum" boils down to personal taste...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:29 am 
I'm just taking it all in, figuring out what personal biases to collect on my journey to enlightenment. Without biases there would be no point on spending hours splitting hairs over technicalities, which has to be half the fun of any hobby :lol:

Seriously now, at the end I was leaning towards the Kodiak, but there may be a way for me to get the Harpoon delivered to Germany for (I hope) cheap, from where a friend could send it through military postal service for free. If that works, it may take a while (low priority shipping and all that) but the price difference may become significant enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:55 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

You are in a great place for paddling, especially the islands near Nagasaki.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:00 am 
Read about the earthquake in N. Japan. You guys o.k.? C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:17 pm 

My Japanese family members relate that they had a hum-dinger of a typhoon all weekend, as well...

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:40 am 
We were more concerned about the typhoon until it decided to do a right turn and go into the pacific.

As far as the quake goes, I'm afraid we didn't feel a thing. Japan is quite long and the earthquake was way south from my location. Earthquakes here are so common that most people talking will finish whatever they are saying at the moment, before commenting on the quake.

But your concern gives me the perfect excuse to share a recent paddling experience; a few weeks ago I survived a tsunami! It was about 10am in the morning, on a calm foggy day. The surface of the lake was virtual glass, perturbed just by the occasional carp jumping out of the waters. Next thing I know three consecutive 10-inch waves violently smashed into my hull! (Ok, they just gently rocked the boat). I look left and right and the wave spanned the lake as far as the eyes could see. Without winds or boats that could explain them, I turned to my wife and said 'hey, I think that was a tsunami!'. In abject horror (ok, grinning) she turned to me and uttered an ominous (skeptic); 'really?'. We then proceeded to over dramatize the events until something more interesting distracted us. I think it was another carp jumping.

God forbid we get to experience the big one up here, but until then, small shakes, rattles and rolls are part of the daily life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:22 pm 

Whoops! I was confusing you with the base near... Sasebo, I think it is. Yes, I have noticed that they don't even sound alike.