Hi from NYC

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

hudsondream

Hi from NYC

Post by hudsondream »

Hi, all. I'm new to kayaking. My background is mostly in scuba diving and rock climbing. I tried kayaking and canoeing a few times and like them very much. My current crazy idea is to paddle the entire Hudson River solo in 2008 summer. I'm going to post a lot of noob questions here soon. :oops:

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Hello Hudson,

Welcome to the forum.

Chris

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by chrstjrn »

It's been done before, so don't think your crazy. It sounds beautiful. Search our archives and I think you'll find the guy who did it.
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

hudsondream

Post by hudsondream »

That's great!!! My search skill has failed me here. I can't find any posts related to paddling the entire Hudson River. Can you point me to the right direction?

maryinoxford
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by maryinoxford »

The forum search may be in vain, depending on date. A couple of years ago, some cyber-disaster wiped out the existing forum and all previous posts were lost. A web-wide search may be a better bet. But anyway, good luck with your plans.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

Mmm... I'm pretty sure it was since that mess. I'll try to look after work, this evening.
Chris T.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

dhup

Kayaking the Hudson

Post by dhup »

Look on the NYkayaker list archive. Someone did the whole thing solo last year, or the year before and finished at the Downtown boathouse.

I did the easy part, Albany to NYC in 2003. The upper Hudson is a real serious whitewater challenge. You might want to talk to Randy at New York Kayak or Eric at Manhattan Kayak, or just mosey over to the Downtown Boathouse (which is no longer Downtown but at 56th Street for the next few years) almost any evening to find some knowledgeable kayakers who have done some amazing trips.
http://www.downtownboathouse.org

Maybe I'll run or paddle into you one of these days.

Welcome aboard!

David

chrstjrn

Post by chrstjrn »

Wow! There's some great stuff that's been going on in New York during the past 15 years!
Chris T.

Return to “Introductions”