Old Newbie

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Great pictures. The klepper rig sure did change a lot...

Maybe this whole subject should be moved to the sail section ?

BPDon

Post by BPDon »

g-

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

A picture is worth MORE than the usual number of words.

The photos look very much like my rig, although I may be missing a few small bits such as the stainless ring which hooks the tack of the mainsail to the boom.

The clip which is halfway up the gaff boom is the same as mine.

Is it correct that the main halyard is held captive by this gaff boom clip on the way down to the hook at the end of the gaff boom? In the photos it looks like the halyard is inside the clip, between the screw and the gaff boom.

I will get my rig and your photos in the same place and compare.

Thanks again

Don

BPDon

Post by BPDon »

Chris
chrstjrn wrote: Good question. Just use the "quote" button in the upper right of every message box.
It works!

Thank you

Don

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Romainpek,

I agree about moving this to a "klepper sailing" thread, hopefully the site admin will do so. And next time I will try to reduce the pic size to take up a bit less room.

Don,

Yes, the mainsail halyrard is captive in the mast bracket, that keeps it from fouling. Unfortunatley the jib halyard does not have that option, but there has been no problem so far.

Best,
g

BPDon

Post by BPDon »

g-

Thank you.

I was not able to take the sail gear out of storage today, hope to do it soon. Then I can better understand what I am missing and how it goes together when I compare the hardware with the photos!

Thanks!

Don

BPDon

Post by BPDon »

g-

Got to my sail rig today. We both have the same sail rig. They look like twins! Now have a few more questions-

1. How do you attach the three grommets on the front edge (luff?) of the mainsail to the mainmast?

2. Please describe the loop in the end on the main halyard which goes around the gaff-hook. My guess is that it is a small loop so it will go over the gaff-hook, but will be stopped by the bigger diameter of the gaff boom when you pull up on the halyard.

I assume there is nothing special on the other end of the main halyard- no loops or hooks etc. Is this correct?

3. I have a piece of rope which I don't know what to do with. It is about 7 feet long, has a metal swivel snap hook with a spring loaded snap on one end, a small brass hook on the other end, and a line tightener (small metal rod with 3 holes with rope going through the 2 holes on the ends) in the middle. I already have both mast stays, and the front stay is part of the jib. This rope at 7 feet is too short to be the main halyard.

Perhaps this is the main control sheet, but if it is I'm not sure how it is attached to the boom or the boat.

Any ideas what this rope is for and how is hooked up???

Thank you for continuing to help with this puzzle

Don

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

"How do you attach the three grommets on the front edge (luff?) of the mainsail to the mainmast?"

Sorry, I am away in Florida so I can not take pics, but the three leading edge grommets are secured to the mast with a simple nylon line that, on my sail, is first tied to the top grommet and then loops around the mast; over itself; down to the next grommet; around the mast and so on. This setup IS the same as the newer rigs, I have seen it in the diagram in current instruction sheet, the same ones that Romainpek scanned (unfortunately his scan did not include that specific diagram).

"Please describe the loop in the end on the main halyard which goes around the gaff-hook. My guess is that it is a small loop so it will go over the gaff-hook, but will be stopped by the bigger diameter of the gaff boom when you pull up on the halyard."

Correct, the loop is about an inch long, you can just barely make it out in the pic I uploaded but your assumption is spot on.

"I have a piece of rope which I don't know what to do with. It is about 7 feet long, has a metal swivel snap hook with a spring loaded snap on one end, a small brass hook on the other end, and a line tightener (small metal rod with 3 holes with rope going through the 2 holes on the ends) in the middle. I already have both mast stays, and the front stay is part of the jib. This rope at 7 feet is too short to be the main halyard."

Does it look like this? I assume it is to allow you to strike the jib and collect it into the cockpit, but I really don't know how...

I

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

This setup IS the same as the newer rigs, I have seen it in the diagram in current instruction sheet, the same ones that Romainpek scanned (unfortunately his scan did not include that specific diagram).
Not quite, I scanned all the documentation I had and there were no more drawings !

But on my sail, it attaches to the mast with rings :)
Last edited by Romainpek on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Romainpek and Don,

Thanks for the clarification. Here is a link to the pdf instructions for the Klepper S2,

http://www.klepperservicecenter.de/downloads/s4.pdf

in German of course, but page 5 shows the rigging of the main to mast. Hope it makes sense,

g

Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Hey, you're right, that drawing is missing in my instructions... but as I was given metal rings to attach my sail, I guess that's why it was not there

I hope you can see the rings on this picture

BPDon

Post by BPDon »

g and Romainpek-

Thank you for the clarification on how to attach the mainsail to the mast. I had seen the description of how to tie the rope in writing, but until I saw the diagram, it made no sense. All is clear now.

However, when I went to the hardware store, I found a package of 1 3/8 diameter metal shower curtain clips which look like they are just the right size to go over the mast and hook to the sail. Will let you know when I have actually tried it. Cheap enough- $1.99 for 12 rings. Not likely to do well in salt water, but at that price, easy to replace. Hope they are strong enough to do the job.

g- regarding the stray rope with the swivel clip. If the rope you posted the picture of has a small hook made out of brass rod on the other end, it is the same rope. The spring clip and tightener rod which you photographed are identical to mine.

Now- to figure out it's purpose in life---

Another question:

Regarding the jib- is there anything special about the rope which is the sheet to control the jib? Mine is missing entirely. I visualize it as a long rope going from one side of the cockpit through the eye on the leeboard crossbar, past the mast, then through the grommet on the rear (clew?) of the jib, and back down the other side of the boat through the other eye on the leeboard then to the cockpit.

The question:
How does this sheet attach to the clew on the jib? Do you just tie an overhand knot in the grommet? Is there a loop made in the sheet and a clip between the loop and the grommet? Something else??

Thank you for your help!!!

Don

Return to “Introductions”