Hello from Greece

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

vangelis
forum fanatic

Hello from Greece

Post by vangelis »

Hello everybody,

I live in Athens Greece and have recently been interested in Kayaking.
Looking for information I found this site and I read a lot of usefull information .
I am planning to buy a klepper double before the summer and I am now studying all relevant sources in the net to be able to come to a conclusion what I will finally order.
Unfortunately it is not possible to try some different boats in Greece but I am still trying to find some way to get some experience.
I am planning to use the sails on my kayak and also do some camping.

My outdoors experience has a lot of windsurfing and sailing in the past, some snorkeling and recently a lot of bicycle including MTB and bicycle touring.
I hope that with the general fittness achieved with bicycle I will be able to go through the initial torso muscle training required for kayak..( I am not in my youth years but I still feel young and fit... :wink: )
I also hope my wife (...and bicycle tandem stocker), will accept the kayak experience, at least as well as she has accepted the tandem bicycle (... anyway being able to use the kayak on my own is a basic factor in my choice).

I am looking forward to have some kayak experience to share in this forum.

For the time being I only have questions :D

Nice meeting all of you here :D :D

Alm

Post by Alm »

Welcome, Vangelis;
Even though this sounds unrelated - I suggest you register at the Folbot forum and ask a few questions to Niko with nick "Sasha". He is in Aegean sea, - I think on Paros island. He owns a Folbot Cooper and double Greenland II, and he tried sailing on GII. GII is very similar to Klepper, only aluminum frame and synthetic deck. I don't think Folbot is the best design and quality in the world, but they are cheap, even in Europe, and GII is one of their most rugged boats. Klepper has a long history of achievments, but they have become too conservative, too slow to intoduce changes and modifications. Klepper's american analog, Longhaul, is making better boats, though they are heavier - mostly because there is more wood in frame and more solid seats. Longhauls are cheaper in the USA, but in Europe I would rather buy a used Klepper than Longhaul.

What I'm writing here, already belongs to "What Boat for Me", so if you would want to continue this thread here, - please don't :-) . Write to "What Boat for me" (or any questions in respective sections of Klepper, Folbot, Sailing, etc). I don't think much of kayak upwind sailing, btw, - and think even less of Folbot sail rig (the cheapest upwind rig available).

PS: Sasha has just posted today in Feathercraft section, so you may email him from there (PM button).

sasha
forum fanatic

Re: Hello from Greece

Post by sasha »

Hello Vangelis!

Welcome to the fold :D

Check your PM :wink:

PS. Folbot, Feathercraft, and Longhaul are great companies. All kayaks have their merits and their eccentricities.

moses s

Post by moses s »

Hi Vangelis
Last year I went into kayaking, as a not so young anymore cyclist. For comfortable kayaking I found out, I had to work on shoulders, belly and lower back. Doing regularly push-ups did well for me, and the nice thing is that you can start before buying a boat.
I would not say that a Folbot ( or any folding kayak) is cheap. They are all quite expensive. Brands like Klepper, Pouch, Feathercraft and Long Haul deliver high quality for a high price. Brands like Folbot and Nautiraid also make high quality boats, but their prices are a lot friendlier.

Moses S

Green Folbot Kiawah

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

Thank you all for your welcome and advise.

I will discuss the "what boat for me..." in a relevant thread.

Nice to know all thiw knowledge is available here.

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

Well...

My Klepper Quatro 545+ arrived... :D

I just had the time to do the first assembly, do a little paddling in the sea, assemble the sailing rig, and test for an hour sailing just with the mainsail. at 3 to 4 BF. (I heard the leeboard "humming" :lol: )

Its a fine craft!

It's also good to see that some of the improovements done by members here or proposed by Ralph Diaz are incorporated in the new design....
(e.g. rings connecting the sail to the mast, parachute cord for the rudder control insted of wire)
Thank you all for your advise so far. I am looking forward to learning my boat as good as I can and imroove in both sailing and paddling...
I hope my wife will soon decide to embark...she is still afraid, so I do my tests solo..

If I new how to upload photos I would post a couple...

....LINK NOT AVAILABLE ....
Last edited by vangelis on Sun May 11, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by chrstjrn »

It seems like I need a password to get into your photos.
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

chrstjrn wrote:It seems like I need a password to get into your photos.
Sorry it's the photo I posted on a Bicycle forum...

I am not familiar with posting photow to any other place.... :oops:

Is it possible to post a photo in thiw forum?

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

One more effort to upload a picture...

Return to “Introductions”