Another New Yorker

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Another New Yorker

Post by KanonBear »

Hello all,

I've been roaming these boards for a while now and finally decided to join. Like many on this site, I've gotten into kayaking a few years back and feel that I'm at the stage where I'd like to get my own folding kayak.

This forum have been a great resource for me thus far. There doesn't seem to be many opportunities in New York City where I can physically test out boats (New York Kayak Company is the only one I know), so I hope I can get sound advice from the experienced kayakers and boat owners on this site.

I plan to do a lot of paddling around the waters of Long Island, the lower Hudson Valley, and hopefully someday work my way toward extended trips!

Cheers!

krudave
Site Admin

Post by krudave »

Bear, post over on the Folbot Forum, also. Often devotees of the Folbot cult are willing to show off their boats to new folks. A few in NY.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Alm

Post by Alm »

And, if you're not in a big rush, you'll find and try almost anything with time. In September there will be Northeast Canoe & Kayak Symposium pretty close to you in NJ: http://www.necanoeandkayak.org/ . The even similar to annual Westcoast Sea Kayak Symposium, and there should be folders there too.

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Isn't there some kind of Downtown Boathouse that's got a Folbot they let visitors try out?

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

Thanks guys for the welcome.

Alm – You're right, I am really in no rush. As my wife can attest to, I a very methodic shopper. I'm one of those that read, research, ask questions, and rumminate over and over again before I make a purchase. So that Symposium in September does sound great.

Christov_Tenn – there is a Downtown Boathouse and it's great for free rentals(!) and lessons, but there isn't too much that you can learn about folders there. The public rental kayaks are sit-on-tops while sit-in hardshells are reserved for the classes. I'm not aware of any Folbots there. The only place that I know where you can see folders firsthand is New York Kayak Company, who is an authorized dealer of Feathercraft.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Randy Henriksen, who owns New York Kayak, is a very knowledgeable guy, and very trustworthy.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

I spoke with Randy over the phone, today. Really nice guy. Feathercrafts are the only folders he sells today and none are ever stocked in inventory. According to him, the folding kayak industry (or was it kayaks in general?) got hit badly after 9-11.

But he seems to really stand by Feathercraft and feels that it's the best folder out there.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Like a lot of other retailers, he stopped carrying Klepper after the new American distributor started selling directly- at prices the dealers couldn't compete with. The only dealer who's really still in the game is Peter Schwierzke, at Western Folding Kayak Center, who is still importing his boats direct from Germany.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

dhup

Re: Another New Yorker

Post by dhup »

Welcome to the crowd.

Two bits of advice:
First, don't try to take your folding kayak on the subway during rush hours;
Second, the Downtown Boathouse, which is very improbably in midtown at 56th street on the Hudson River, will let you try any of their boats, including one folding kayak, a $5,000 Trak that was donated last year. You will have to convince the dock master (on Wednesdays it is often me) that you have the proficiency to handle it on the water. There are a few privately owned Kleppers and Feathercrafts and you might inveigle one of the owners to let you try his or her boat. The public free weekday evening and weekend kayaking program at the Boathouse starts around May 15. Check the website, downtownboathouse.org

There are a whole raft of launch sites that have opened or are in the process of being developed in New York City. The Parks Dept. has even established a NYC Water Trail to connect the sites and create marked routes for kayakers. Not too long ago we were treated as outlaws.

Return to “Introductions”