Hello from South West England

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

YvonneB

Hello from South West England

Post by YvonneB »

Hi folks, I've been reading this forum for some time whilst doing my research and yesterday took the plunge and bought a second hand Kahuna. It was the only option for me for weight, versatility and looks.

Folders are pretty rare here in England but Mary from Oxford and I paddle together, and this year we are planning an adventure in Scotland. This summer I am also planning to paddle down the Thames from end to end.

First task will be to find a good pack cart, looks like I may have to make one. :?: :!:

Anyone planning to come to the Uk is welcome to contact me and if I can help with any info I will.

See you on the water.

Christov_Tenn

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Welcome. I hope you will take pictures of your adventures - especially R. Thames.

Chris

Kapitän von Klepper

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

Oy, how about hosting an informal folding boat meeting?

About this time last year I was musing on the possibility of paddling from John O'Groats to Lands End via inland as much as possible, any ideas? A sudden down size at Norwegian Cruise Lines America (they've withdrawn all but one ship :roll: ) threw a spanner in the works... :roll: and I'll have to plan for it some other time, but maybe with more time for research. :)

-Andreas

Alm

Re: Hello from South West England

Post by Alm »

YvonneB wrote: First task will be to find a good pack cart, looks like I may have to make one. :?: :!:
You won't like a typical pack cart or luggage cart, as it won't work as a boat cart. I've made such a luggage-and-boat cart. It works for assembled Kahuna and for hauling very heavy loads of packed Kahuna and all the food and gear for a long trip. But here is a simple modification of German Oker cart, allowing using it with both assembled boat and packed boat:

viewtopic.php?t=1718&highlight=oker

It won't carry very heavy loads (Kahuna's tubes might not be strong enough for this task), but it looks good for Kahuna and some gear for short trip. Another (smaller) bag can be strapped on the top of the first one, if needed.

YvonneB

Post by YvonneB »

Andreas wrote
Oy, how about hosting an informal folding boat meeting?

About this time last year I was musing on the possibility of paddling from John O'Groats to Lands End via inland as much as possible, any ideas?
That is a pretty demanding route Andreas, there are few rivers running north/south in Scotland, and most are whitewater in large sections. People walk and cycle it, but Ive never heard of someone paddling it. There are also big chunks of England with no suitable waterways. The West coast is beautiful but requires a high level of skill with complex tidal and weather conditions.

A meet up at the English Lake District might be possible, but might be difficult to get to - sadly UK public transport is nowhere as good as in Germany and trains are horribly expensive. If people hired cars it would be possible though.

Inverness in north east Scotland is served by EasyJet. It stands at the head of the Caledonian Canal which, including Loch Ness runs through the Great Glen - you can see it as a straight line on the map running SW to NE almost coast to coast, I think it would take 4-5 days.

I went to Berlin for a weekend recently and there look to be plenty of lakes around, would that make a good meet?

Thanks for the tips on the cart, the Oker looks a good one. At the moment I have only a vague idea to use the wheels from an Eckla 160 and create an additional pack frame along the lines of the Feathercraft packcart. I am very lucky to have that rare thing, a real engineering workshop close to where I live where they still make things out of metal.

Alm

Post by Alm »

rare thing, a real engineering workshop close to where I live where they still make things out of metal.
The world resources boom/crisis is apparently deeper than I thought. I didn't have problems finding a metal work shop in Vancouver area, including such exotic equipment as aluminum welding, but finding a cheap one can be problem. Well - Canada is still a resources-based economics, there is still something to dig out and sell. Won't last long, I guess...

YvonneB

Post by YvonneB »

The Kahuna arrives tomorrow - I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! let's hope I feel the same having tried to assemble it. Easter in England has snow and high winds forecast, rats. Think of the poor people doing the Devizes to Westminster Canoe Race, 125 miles either straight through or over 4 days ......

Return to “Introductions”