Hi - I'm new here with an old boat...

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

hunt4denise

Hi - I'm new here with an old boat...

Post by hunt4denise »

Greetings from Salt Lake City - a former river guide (yes, sorry, inflatables) :oops: ,
Somehow, as a wedding gift, I acquired a Klepper Aerius circa 'a long time ago'. I found a boating permit in a pocket from 1965 - my friend who gave it to me had recovered the Klepper from her deceased grandfather's garage last summer - it's obviously old but is in (seemingly) good condition. Maybe I should post some photos and get some input; I have no idea if it is worthy/capable of a flat-water river excursion but I would love to get it out there and see what it can do!
First of all, does anyone have any idea how I can condition and/or protect the rubber and canvas? Is it too late for that? am I just due to purchase a new skin? Any input/ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for letting me join in the fun...love boats...love the water...
Denise

mje
Site Admin

Re: Hi - I'm new here with an old boat...

Post by mje »

If the rubber hull is cracking- it's time for a new one. But assuming the deck is in good shape, Mark at Long Haul Folding Kayaks can attach a new hull to your deck for half the price of a full skin.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

jcwlx

Re: Hi - I'm new here with an old boat...

Post by jcwlx »

Hi Denise, I inherited a 1965 Klepper Aerius 2 just like yours about 9 years ago. It was my brothers. It sat in my basement unused for about 5 years, until I finally had time and interest to assemble it. I became enthralled with the history of Kleppers after reading all about them and paddled the boat with the old orignal skin for a couple of summers. The natural rubber in the skin was badly deteriorated and the frame would stick to the woodwork making it difficult to pull the bow and stern sections out during disassembly. I finally broke down and bought a new skin from Mark Eckhardt at Long Haul Folding Kayaks....Klepper skins are too expensive, and it is wonderful. You can see photos of my 1965 Klepper with the Long Haul skin on it in the photo gallery section of this website on the second page under Chris Wilkes. I hope you enjoy your boat...they are really fun and very seaworthy. I was just out in Salt Lake City skiing with my son, Nick, who works for Zion Adventure Co, in Springdale, Utah. We spent 3 wonderful days skiing at Alta and Park City. You live in a beautiful part of the country! Paddle it, too. Cheers! Chris :D

Return to “Introductions”