Another hello from the Lake District

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

gangrel

Another hello from the Lake District

Post by gangrel »

I've just read the post from Flinty -Another hello from the Lakes from me and my wife and another Nautiraid GR11 500 - we live a little outside Penrith so Ullswater is our nearest lake, now just waiting to pick up our new boat next week. Have a trip planned to Arisaig later this year,hopefully lots of paddling in the Lakes before then to get used to the new boat which is a big step up from the inflatable we have been paddling up until now.

maryinoxford
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Another hello from the Lake District

Post by maryinoxford »

Hi Gangrel.

You might spot Andreadawn, who is also from Cumbria, and paddles a Feathercraft K1. She has some posts on this forum, but appears more often on the UK forum .

Arisaig's a lovely area - I've been through there by ferry, but not paddled it yet. Just off there was where I saw my first (and only, so far) sunfish:

I have also made the transition from inflatable to framed folder. It's a big improvement, especially anywhere windy.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

andreadawn

Post by andreadawn »

Welcome aboard.

I'll keep an eye out for you on Ullswater. I'm the other end of the county but paddle Ullswater quite often. It's so rare to meet other folding boat paddlers in the UK.

The Arisaig area is an absolutely gorgeous place to paddle.

Andrea.

gangrel

Post by gangrel »

Thanks both of you for your replies - our boat arrived today and we spent this afternoon putting it together for the first time - it all seems to fit! I'm away for a few days so probably wont get to paddle it this week but I'll keep an eye out for you, especially on Ullswater.

Mark

Lardrover

Post by Lardrover »

Evening all

We spent a glorious hot and sunny day at the lower end of Ullswater yesterday, Sun 31st May. Didn't see any other folding boats out there. We were both in Kleppers, both Aerius II types, olive green canvas/black hull. Really enjoyed it, expecting to be back in near future, perhaps paddling elsewhere in the Lakes but still enjoying Ullswater at the moment.

nutellamonster

Post by nutellamonster »

Sorry for reviving this old-ish thread, but you were all together in here, so I thought I'd give it a go:

We are doing our summer vacation in England (South and West coasts, mainly) and Wales, possibly Ireland, this year in June. Any ideas for a day's paddle and decent outfitters there? We won't bring our Kahunas for one or two day's paddling, but thought of renting one. Ideas so far are the Thames, the Lake District, or maybe the Wye. The Norfolk area (where paddling is supposedly quite good, from what I've read on the net) and even Ireland as a whole (too many other things to do, if we even include it) won't be paddling destinations. We're quite confident on calm lake water, even with some choppy motor boat-induced criss-crossing waves, but have never used a lock or went over a weir so far.

The main apsect of the vacation will be sight-seeing in our 2cv, and a little bit of hiking, and the said one or two days of paddling. Any hints (also for tenting places) will be very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Jana

maryinoxford
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by maryinoxford »

Hi Jana,

You might be better to post your question on the British paddling forum here:
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/

Kayak rental is not common in Britain, although a few places do it. Guided trips are more usual. But if you post on that forum, you'll get more information. There are not many British people on the FoldingKayaks forum, as folders are scarce here.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

nutellamonster

Post by nutellamonster »

Hey Mary,

thanks for the tip. I try not to log on to too many forums... I'll think about it, though. And thanks for telling me about kayak rental, maybe we will bring the Kahunas, after all, and paddle a little more - they were made (and bought) for it, when all's said and done... :lol:

Happy padling!

Jana

gangrel

Post by gangrel »

If you are in the Lakes there is obviously plenty to go at but if you are limited for time/spoiled for choice you might like to give Ullswater a try - lots of free parking and easy launching in laybyes (not all of them!) along the lakeshore and the lake itself has plenty of interest - good views, a few islands and the lake meanders in to three distinct stretches. The shoreline opposite the main road is quite remote and interesting in places, especially towards the Glenridding end of the lake. I suggest parking in one of the laybyes near Aira Force and doing a circular trip up one side of the lake to Glenridding and back along the other - its less than a mile back across, only a few hundred yards if you cross near the outward bound school.
Windermere is the biggest lake but very busy, not too many launch or landing sites either and a lot of the shoreline is private - but its a good trip of about 22 miles to traverse the whole length and back. Wastwater is remote and spectacular but a little small for a day paddle.
Cant say much about Ireland, I've only paddled our old boat on the west coast on a couple of occasions but its very spectacular and there are lots of good looking sites - remote bays etc, lots of wildlife especially otters, dolphins, basking sharks etc. Exposed to the west obviously so you have to be wary of weather and conditions but I would like to get back there with out new boat and do some more.
If you make it up to Scotland you could do a lot worse than the area around Arisaig - good for wildlife again, lots of bays and skerries meaning you can often find sheltered areas in bad weather, but similar to west of Ireland. We are off up there again in June, hoping for good weather. We have our own boat but there is an outfit called Rockhopper that does day trips/accompanied hire up in that area. Hope you have a good trip.

Cheers

Mark

Return to “Introductions”