New folding kayaker in FL

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Mike

New folding kayaker in FL

Post by Mike »

Hi all! Just bought a new (well, new to me) Folbot tandem, Super model, I believe. Was told that it's 18 years old, and overall in good shape. However, it was stored assembled for an extended period (probably years), and several of the aluminum longerons were fused together by oxidation. After trying for several hours to separate them, and needing to get the boat onto a plane, I asked the seller to cut them apart with an angle grinder. So, now I need a new method to connect several of the longerons- any suggestions?

krudave
Site Admin

Re: New folding kayaker in FL

Post by krudave »

Mike wrote:Hi all! Just bought a new (well, new to me) Folbot tandem, Super model, I believe. Was told that it's 18 years old, and overall in good shape. However, it was stored assembled for an extended period (probably years), and several of the aluminum longerons were fused together by oxidation. After trying for several hours to separate them, and needing to get the boat onto a plane, I asked the seller to cut them apart with an angle grinder. So, now I need a new method to connect several of the longerons- any suggestions?
This problem has been addressed in detail on the Folbot Forum recently. You might search that site and find out what worked for others.
Dave Kruger
Astoria, OR
--
Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Return to “Introductions”