Hello ! Extra seats ?

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

dalsht01

Hello ! Extra seats ?

Post by dalsht01 »

Hello . I've been wanting to buy a foldable kayak
for three years now and yesterday I found a secondhand
klepper II that I still couldn't afford but I couldn't wait any longer .
I own a boat !

I've got to little boys and I'm wondering if it's possible to add extra
seats onto the deck so they don't have to sit on the bear deck ?

Many thanks.

Tim

mje
Site Admin

Re: Hello ! Extra seats ?

Post by mje »

I'm guessing you mean on the floorboards, not the deck. Sitting on the deck would make the boat very tiipy and possibly damage it. You can get a good seat from Long Haul, or just use boating cushions, strapping them to the floorboard or using velcro.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

dalsht01

Post by dalsht01 »

Sounds good . Cheers .

cline

Post by cline »

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the purchase of your new boat. The Klepper Aerius II is a great boat. Image

Alm

Post by Alm »

mje wrote:I'm guessing you mean on the floorboards, not the deck. Sitting on the deck would make the boat very tiipy and possibly damage it. You can get a good seat from Long Haul, or just use boating cushions, strapping them to the floorboard or using velcro.
I'm confused too.
Assuming he meant extra seats on the floorboards - with how many people in total? 2 kids + 2 adults - well, it will float, but both adults will have difficulties paddling and not enough leg room for comfortable seating, no matter what kind of extra seats will be added.

With 2 kids + 1 adult the father would be able to paddle, and one kid probably too, if seated high enough, though kid's input will be more fun than help. In this case, one kid will take a vacant adult bow seat (because rudder pedals should better be in the father's control). So only one seat should be added - and I think that some camp seat/pillow is a better and cheaper choice than LH seat. This guy will be seating between his brother in front and father in rear, he won't paddle and therefore can live without a "real" seat, for which there is no room anyway.

cline

Post by cline »

Alm wrote:...Assuming he meant extra seats on the floorboards - with how many people in total? 2 kids + 2 adults - well, it will float, but both adults will have difficulties paddling and not enough leg room for comfortable seating, no matter what kind of extra seats will be added.

With 2 kids + 1 adult the father would be able to paddle, and one kid probably too, if seated high enough, though kid's input will be more fun than help. In this case, one kid will take a vacant adult bow seat (because rudder pedals should better be in the father's control). So only one seat should be added - and I think that some camp seat/pillow is a better and cheaper choice than LH seat. This guy will be seating between his brother in front and father in rear, he won't paddle and therefore can live without a "real" seat, for which there is no room anyway.
I agree, and depending on the size of the child and the adult in the back, I think that even one extra passenger is going to make for a crowded boat, especially if the rudder is hooked up. At least a camp seat/pillow can be shifted around some to allow for a "wiggle" factor for the child, and, as you pointed out, it's a whole lot cheaper than a LH seat.

I see another kayak or a Klepper Aerius Classic XXL 585 (The Family Triple) in this family’s future. :lol:

Return to “Introductions”