New Ontario Member

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

alfster

New Ontario Member

Post by alfster »

Hello everyone. Just found this forum. It's a great resource and has already answered many of my questions.

I actually went searching for some information on where to sell my folding kayak inherited from my father. It's a early 70's Metzeler Hammer Robinson 500. We used to kayak on the South Saskatchewan River through Saskatoon in Canada, and on a few lakes. We probably only used the kayak about 20 times, which is a shame because it's such a fun kayak. We gave up on sailing it early on as it was too difficult. I guess one of the reasons our family didn't use it too often was due to the time it took to assemble it. The instructions say it should only take a 1/2 hour, however my father always seemed to stretch that out to 2 hours, with a few expletives thrown in for good measure :lol: Anyhow, after doing some reading, I'm seriously reconsidering selling it. My only problem is that our local rivers are too shallow to risk kayaking a rubber bottomed kayak. I love this kayak ... but I also don't want it to sit in storage for the next decade. Ughhh, not sure what to do.

Here's some photos of the kayak parts spread out on my living room floor. It's all in good shape, especially considering its nearly 40 years old.

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv26 ... df2bc8.pbw

Alm

Re: New Ontario Member

Post by Alm »

Welcome. To sell or not to sell - you know... If river is too shallow for it, it will be shallow for any other folder, so you have to sell it and may be get an inflatable or Poly. If river is not terribly shallow, and you have a garage or any shed, just add some hull strips and keep it assembled and cartop it. Wooden frame connoisseurs could tell more, but I think discontinued German folders (and any discontinued folders) don't fetch awfully lot of money on the market. Longhaul company might be of some help in making or restoring the frame or skin, but seems like it's good as it is now.

alfster

Post by alfster »

Hi Alex. I definitely won't be using it on our rivers running through Cambridge ... way too shallow. We do travel to Lake Erie and Lake Superior a couple of times per summer, so I may give it a try this upcoming summer. I'm just don't think I'm ready to sell it yet. Part of it is likely sentimental reasons. The only reason I dragged it out today was because we were doing some cleaning / organizing. It's just another thing we own that's just taking up space right now. The last time we used it was on a lake in Saskatchewan. My wife, myself and our dog managed to fit into it. We even managed to do some fishing off of it. Caught a couple of perch if I remember :D

cline

Post by cline »

alfster wrote:...I'm just don't think I'm ready to sell it yet. Part of it is likely sentimental reasons. The only reason I dragged it out today was because we were doing some cleaning / organizing. It's just another thing we own that's just taking up space right now.
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Image

I can understand that. I still have the old frame and some other miscellaneous parts left over from a Klepper that I bought back in 1965 with money that my fiancé, who’s now my wife, lent to me. We used it on our honeymoon and for years after that until the hull rotted out. I kept everything that was left from the boat, good, bad, or ugly, all through the years, even though I was using only hard shell kayaks. Last year I bought another Klepper (a used boat), so now that I have another Klepper double, I can use some of this "stuff" for backup repair parts. It just goes to show that you never can tell when "something" that you’ve held onto might come in handy again. :lol:

Oh, did I mention that I was a pack rat? :lol:

alfster

Post by alfster »

cline wrote:
alfster wrote:...I'm just don't think I'm ready to sell it yet. Part of it is likely sentimental reasons. The only reason I dragged it out today was because we were doing some cleaning / organizing. It's just another thing we own that's just taking up space right now.

I can understand that. I still have the old frame and some other miscellaneous parts left over from a Klepper that I bought back in 1965 with money that my fiancé, who’s now my wife, lent to me. We used it on our honeymoon and for years after that until the hull rotted out. I kept everything that was left from the boat, good, bad, or ugly, all through the years, even though I was using only hard shell kayaks. Last year I bought another Klepper (a used boat), so now that I have another Klepper double, I can use some of this "stuff" for backup repair parts. It just goes to show that you never can tell when "something" that you’ve held onto might come in handy again. :lol:

Oh, did I mention that I was a pack rat? :lol:
Thanks for the welcome. I have to admit I'm a bit of a pack rat as well. Thus the reason for trying to eliminate the stuff we no longer use. Good thing I found this forum to remind me of all the fun I'd be missing out on if I sold it :lol: Now I just need to try and put it together again.

cline

Post by cline »

I forgot to mention that my wife and I spent part of our honeymoon in Ottawa in the spring of 1966. We worked our way up from Niagara Falls past Toronto to Ottawa. While we were there, we rowed our Klepper on the Ottawa River. It’s been a long time ago, but I remember coming down a hill from the city (I believe near the Parliament Building), putting the boat together, and then rowing it down river past the Mounted Police Facility (I think that’s what it was), and then back, against a very stiff current. I remember that the water had a fair current and was black on the bottom. I believe that someone told me that they used it sometimes, or used to use it, to move/drive logs. That wouldn’t surprise me.

I loved the city. We watched the changing of the guard at the Parliament Building, and had a great food and shopping experience at the Sparks Street Mall. The canals were beautiful. I can imagine how much fun it must be to skate on them when it freezes. We stayed there a few days and returned back to Virginia through my wife’s home state of Pennsylvania. We used the boat a few more times on our trip.

One of many things that impressed me about Ottawa was how clean it was. I remember that there were signs posted at various places encouraging people, sometimes with the threat of a fine, not to litter. I also remember that the power steering hose on our car broke while we were there and I bought a part and fixed it in the parking lot of the place where we were staying. I can still remember the sign that was posted on a fence there in the parking lot “urging” me not to discard any used auto parts.

Sorry for the long, off topic story, but it was a great trip; honeymoon wise and kayaking wise. :D

alfster

Post by alfster »

That's a great story. 1966 eh (sorry, had to add a Canadianism :D )? Can't say I know what Ottawa was like back then as that was the year I was born. However I've been there a few times over the last few years. Absolutely love that city. I've never kayaked in Ottawa, however I'm an avid cyclist and very much appreciate the extensive bike paths throughout the city ... very impressive. Btw, it's still amazingly clean.

cline

Post by cline »

I'd love to go back there for a visit. I don't remember if they had bike paths back then or not. I remember Ottawa as being a beautiful city, so the bike paths through it should make for a nice ride. A new marriage, a great honeymoon, as well as the birth of our daughter, Diana, in late November, made 1966 a great year for us. :D

I didn't know what a "Canadianism" was until I Googled it. I’ll have to remember that. :lol:

ontario23

Post by ontario23 »

hi I am new here and I am from canada...

cline

Post by cline »

ontario23 wrote:hi I am new here and I am from canada...

alfster

Post by alfster »

ontario23 wrote:hi I am new here and I am from canada...
Where abouts in Ontario are you? Northern or Southern?

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

Hi, i lived in Cambridge for 30 years, my last area was on Saginaw Parkway. I have paddled the Grand river many times from Cambridge to Paris, I have also paddled down from Elora Gorge to Cambridge, although i would suggest starting at the covered bridge at West Montrose. Also i have started at St Jacobs and gone down to Cambridge, ( watch for the barbed wire across the river near Conestogo). In addition i have paddled some of the Nith river and the Saugeen from Walkerton to Dennys Dam Southampton which must be one of the best trips in Southwest Ontario. I have sailed on the Grand in Cambridge and on Guelph Lake , and paddled on numerous conservation lakes. I moved north a few years ago to get away from all that congestion . There,s a photo of mine on www.klepper.ca jib sailing on the Grand in Cambridge. My fold ups were Aerius 2s at that time which i still have.

alfster

Post by alfster »

Hi John. Unfortunately I couldn't find your photo on the Klepper site. How did you find kayaking / sailing with your Klepper on the the Grand? I find the depth too shallow to consider using anything other than a hardshell kayak or a canoe. I've done the Cambridge to Paris trip many times, along with other sections of the Grand. The last time I used my Metzeler on a river was on the South Saskatchewan River. I definitely miss using it.

It's interesting you mentioned the West Montrose area as I am currently looking at an acreage just outside of the town. I posted a thread about it in the Coffee forum. I haven't seen it yet, however it's 2 acres along the Grand. Looks interesting. I'm still waiting for the realtor to give me a call back though. I'm hoping to see it tomorrow.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

I never worried about any shallow sections of the river, that,s is where the faster interesting sections are and on the Grand you can hardly call it white water, on the Grand i never got a hole,.only gouges which i patched when i got home, just take a repair kit and you will probably only need waterproof tape. I did get a hole in the Saugeen but i would do the same river again (i did it twice) I use to sail on the Grand up by the Golf course down to the dam, my photos on the klepper.ca site are the ones where the thumb nail is the kayak on a beach as the sun goes down, click on it and i have about 7 there. Up here is good i can have lakes to myself, my location is half way between Sault Ste Marie and Thunder Bay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alfster

Post by alfster »

I found your photos. Nice shots.

We usually stay in the various campgrounds just south of Marathon when we're heading back to Saskatchewan for a visit. Beautiful area!!! I definitely know why you moved out there.

Return to “Introductions”