Warning verbose old fart

A place to introduce yourself to other members

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

greg

Warning verbose old fart

Post by greg »

I have been kayaking about 10 years now. I used to live near Lake Michigan and so I have a valley skerry. (17 foot brit boat) I now live in Missouri so I have a wilderness systems tsunami 14. The weather is warmer here but I miss the lake.

I am traveling to Hawaii & Kauai in September. Is Hawaii is the proper name for the big island? I have looked at all of the rental places I can find on the islands and the only thing I can find is wide fat & slow sit on tops and one old Chinook. So I took at look at folding kayaks.

I am finding what I would like and what are possible are very different things.

What I would like is a high performance Greenland style kayak that will fold small enough to be transportable by motorcycle, assembles in less than 10 minutes, weights less than 50 pounds and cost less than a month’s take home pay. Thus far any two of the four seems to be possible.

I am haunting EBay right now looking at what is available and what it sells for.

maryinoxford
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Warning verbose old fart

Post by maryinoxford »

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

The nearest you will get to your wish list would be to self-build one of Tom Yost's designs, assuming you have time, space, tools and some skill. Have a look at his website here: http://www.yostwerks.com/ . Tom often posts on this forum under the name yostwerks, and is always helpful to people building any of his designs.

Commercially, the nearest approaches to a Greenland-style boat would be Feathercraft Khatsalano or Wisper, Folbot Cooper, Trak. Japanese makers Fujita have an interesting range of boats, but I only know them from the internet - I've never seen one. FirstLight Kayaks of New Zealand make ultralight performance kayaks, but questions have been raised about their durability. The Pakboats range of kayaks are not intended to be "performance" models, but get closer to your targets for weight and price. I don't think you'll find anything that assembles in 10 minutes in a real-world situation. (Record-breakers may achieve it at the cost of much practice and sweat.)

I think you've already realised that there is no "perfect" folder. But the forum will give you information to help you decide on your priorities. Good luck.

Mary
Not in Oxford any more...

greg

Post by greg »

Thank you for your responce. My Dad once told me there was no such thing as a free lunch. I have had to agree with him. I will look up the boats you recomended.

renoroger775

Post by renoroger775 »

Years ago I took my Klepper Aerius II to Maui, Hawaii. It was phantastic in the mornings but when the winds pipe up around noon it gets mighty dangerous and time to head for shore. A close friend of mine, a very experienced adventure paddler, attempted to circumnavigate one of the HI islands in a Klepper and @%&$ near got himself killed.
I had a Pakboat Puffin II. It weighs 27lbs. You can assemble it in 25 to 30 minutes but it is correctly described as a recreational boat. I would not dare to use it anywhere near Hawaii. I am not suicidal.

saleroso

Post by saleroso »

For information on kayaking conditions in Hawaii, see the following page: http://plentypupule.com/faqs.htm

Take the time to read carefully to get an idea of the realities. Evaluate your skills, get local information, and adjust accordingly. This is BIG water.

Return to “Introductions”