Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:45 pm 
Hello!

I just joined this site and would like to say "Hello" to everybody. This area has lots to offer for all kinds of kayaking but there seem to be few local kayakers. Anybody interested to go out for trips in this area, be it for hours, a day or longer?

Cheers, Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:44 pm 
Welcome to the club. There are more folders on the web than in local waters :-)... Folders are very rare , compared to hardshells (at least in USA and Canada). It is possible that on 150 km stretch of that fiord from Alberni to Ucluelet your folder is the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:18 pm 
They are rare, indeed. However, last Wednesday we paddled to Portland Island. we were just leaving the Shell Beach (nice camping spot), when a couple in double Feathercraft pulled in for the night. They came from the Territories and were cruising Gulf Islands. Of course, I was in my Klondike, so it was quite a meeting.

Alberni Valley area is, in my opinion, underestimated by kayaking fraternity. Lots of potential there. I hope to do some cruising in that area with Matt, as soon as my camping equipment gets re-organised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

gregn wrote:
[snip] when a couple in double Feathercraft pulled in for the night. They came from the Territories and were cruising Gulf Islands.
Greg,

I bet that is the same couple I saw in the Broken Group out in Barkley Sound a year ago in July. Very nice, and I think she is First Nations, yes?

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:12 pm 
Dave, I think you are right. A very nice couple with some First Nations touch. Hope to see them again, or at least to hear about their travels on this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:32 pm 
Hi Matt!

Great to meet you on this forum too, how are things in the valley? i hear you had the best summer weather in years!

Yours,

:wink:

Willi