Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello world!
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:19 pm 
Hello everyone,

I've picked kayaking as my hobby for the summer, so I am just starting out in the world of paddling. I don't own a kayak yet, but if I ever buy a kayak it will definitely be a folding (or inflatable) one. Being an apartment dweller and living on the 19th floor reduces your kayak options greatly!

It's nice to see the forums back and operating. I've gained lots of valuable information already!

Cheers!

-cv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:35 pm 
Welcome; once again - apartment dwellers are *not* banned from hardshell kayak ownership :-)... I would suggest exploring options in non-profit clubs nearby. It costs me CDN 160 (USD 130) a year to store a hardshell kayak on the rack - 2 or 3 times less than the cost of internet. I would've paddled it less often if it were a folder; but here it comes dangerously close to comparing folders VS hardshells :-) ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:32 am 
Alm wrote:
I would suggest exploring options in non-profit clubs nearby. It costs me CDN 160 (USD 130) a year to store a hardshell kayak on the rack - 2 or 3 times less than the cost of internet.

Thanks for the tip! I've just had my first kayaking lesson (in a hard-shell, of course) and came to appreciate the loads a kayak is subjected to. It is nice to be able to run aground on any surface and have the confidence that your kayak will not be damaged. No matter how sturdy foldable kayak skins are, they'll never be as sturdy as plastic.

Not that I'm comparing folders to hardshells... Nope, not me!

-cv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:42 pm 
you know... the more expensive it is, the more you suffer - not a kayak, but you :-) , hearing the sound of the hull scratching against shore pebbles and barnacles... Same goes for storage with a so-so security in those clubs - nobody will steal some 10 yrs old kayak. Fiberglass and Kevlar kayaks do need periodical re-coating of the hull, depending on the frequence of use and area of paddling. Polyethylene hulls don't need a recoating, - they just can't be mended. There are other forums to learn about this, though.