Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:42 am 
paddler

Hello,

Quick intro as requested for the board. Used to kayak a lot - sea in my Tahe Greenlander, whitewater in my Jackson Fun and flatwater in whatever was available! Been away from kayaking for a few years (family) but now the children are old enough to join in, so we start again. Looking at folders as we spend time in Italy every summer and would like somethings that are reasonably transportable and storable. Prefer the traditional narrow Greenland type of boat - Folbot Cooper, Feathercraft Khat or my current favourite the Trak Seeker.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:05 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Let me know where you spend time in Italy in the summer - I know some great spots for sea kayaking in Campania, for example

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:02 pm 
paddler

Thanks - we're generally where my wife chooses (she's Italian) but we've been to the Cinque Terre (Monterosso), Sardegna, etc. it tends to be around the north as she's from the Veneto. This year, and one of the drivers for getting back in a boat, is that she's doing a 15km swimming race from Ancona down the coast and each swimmer needs a support kayak....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:42 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Cleland and welcome,
I live near Cambridge. Don't get out as often as I'd like to, but I can report that tomorrow I'm packing then taking my Klepper T9 to West coast Scotland on the Caledonian sleeper. It'll be the first time I've done long distances on public transport and carrying camping kit with the folding boat. I'm anticipating that getting to Euston (possibly involving London Underground) will be the hardest part of the whole weekend.
All my boats are secondhand, older, and wooden. I'd be interested to see your Trak seeker (or Cooper or Khat) and compare notes, go for a paddle if you like, if and when you get one.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:11 am 
paddler

Aloha,
Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new to the forum myself but I paddle a Folbot Cooper and am familiar with the other two. You can get great advice and tips just from reading through the postings here. I used to own a Feathercraft and the quality is legendary. I wouldn't say "bombproof" but close to it. The Khat is expensive and set up takes some practice but owners are very loyal. Trak has been making inroads into folding kayaks and there are great videos online to show what these boats are capable of in the right hands. I love my Cooper but it is at the low-end of the price scale. With Folbot shuttering the doors in 2016 it may become much harder to get replacement parts for a Cooper. That said, you can have a GREAT time with any of the three models you listed. Mahalo, Dean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 am 
paddler

Ian - thanks for the mail, hope you have a good time in Scotland. I went to the Uist Symposium a few years back and really enjoyed the Scottish paddling. Name's Andrew by the way, cleland72 is the surname and year of birth, gets used a lot for usernames! Definitely up for a paddle once I'm setup with a boat. I just re-joined Cambridge Canoe Club to get some miles in a club boat in the mean time.

Dean - thanks. I'd not realised Folbot had shutdown having not tried to buy anything from their website. Seems a shame but times are hard, whether in the US or the UK - I've been away from sea kayaking for a few years but I see that there have been changes in the industry in the meantime, not least of which is that Knoydart, once the biggest sea retailer in the UK seems to have stopped selling boats...