Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:49 am 
recent arrival

Hello,

Two days ago we bought a Klepper Aerius II, we're not sure of the year but maybe it's mid 1950's. Today we took it out for our first paddle in it. We chose a local lake for our first paddle, beautiful day and calm water. The Klepper paddled well and was stable but it certainly was a challenge to get in and out of especially for the person in the bow seat. Fortunately, a nice couple gave us a hand both in and out while the got their home made sailboat set up and launched.

We're looking forward to learning more about our Klepper.

~ Jandoraa

Last edited by Jandoraa on Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome Jandora and congratulations on your maiden voyage in the Klepper. You will find lots of friendly advice here. Just curious about your troubles getting into your kayak...my wife and I are people "of a certain age" and getting in and out of our Klepper has never been a challenge. We can no longer lift the boat onto our car top, but we can still launch and paddle!

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:35 pm 
recent arrival

I think the difficulty getting in and out will ease as we have more experience. I sat in the bow seat and my partner in the stern. While my partner and one other person held the boat, I got in. I thought it might be like getting into a rowing shell, but I found it much harder! There is very little space to place my feet and no way that I could figure out to get in besides feet on the small bit of wood, hands stretched as far back as possible and lower myself in. I lack the upper body strength to do that sort of movement with any amount of confidence. When getting out, I was worried about the amount of weight/force I was putting on the gunnels/combing, I could think of no way to get out besides reversing the entry method. The helpful people on the shore held the boat and I was able to put some weight on person as I got out, that was very helpful! I'm not sure how we would have gotten in and out without the help, we'd have managed I think but for sure the help was greatly appreciated!

~ Jandoraa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:46 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I think you will find it much easier to enter/exit with some experience, it really should be a no-drama event...no strength needed. Bow paddler first, just step on the keelboard and balance with hands on combing to lower yourself into seat. You would have a hard time tipping the A2, even with no help from stern paddler. Secondary stability is better than many canoes, in our experience.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just in case you're finding it difficult to control the kayak when you step into it from the side....

As you're stepping in onto the keelboard from a landing, it's best to place your first foot slightly outboard of the centreline of the kayak, towards the side away from the shore/landing. This will ensure that the kayak stays close to/moves towards the landing.

Placing your first foot on the shoreward side of the centreline of the kayak as you get in will result in the kayak moving away from the shore and you could end up doing the splits and falling into the water

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:38 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks for the information! I definitely will try placing my foot outboard of the keel line, that's a great idea that I haven't tried before. Hopefully we'll be out on the water again tomorrow, if so I'll give that a try.

I think I may be too cautious and underestimate the stability and strength of the Aerius ll. Becoming more familiar with the boat and working with it should help overcome my lack of confidence.

I saw a post on this site in the Klepper forum where someone put a solid plywood floor with cutouts to accommodate the ribs. That might be something we are interested in, it would allow for different seats and seating positions. If we do think we'll do this I'll post a thread about it in the Klepper forum.

Thanks for the welcome and the info!