Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:04 am 
recent arrival

Hi, I am a 52 year old father with an antique British Branta foldable double kayak, which I've had for about twenty years and only used once or twice some twenty years ago. I aquired it from an old couple who were clearing out some stuff and it was a bit fragile. Needless to say the canvass bottom failed when I ventured on the water so it has been stored in my shed as a curiosity ever since.

However, I now have an 8 year old son and we recently went on a kayak trip on the beautiful River Wye in the UK. This got me thinking about my old foldable canoe so it is now my mission to repair it and get back out on the water. A picture is attached.

I found your forum and website while researching how to go about repairing the rubberised canvas so I thought I'd post my experiences for others to enjoy and learn from. I also intend to learn from all your other contributors as well. My posts will mainly be in the antique sections.
Regards,
Matt

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:21 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Matt,
I think (but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the brand is Granta. I think they were based somewhere in Cambridgeshire, but I forget where. (St Ivers? Huntingdon?) Have a look at Malcolm's thread on repairing the skin of his Tyne folding canoe, another defunct British brand.

You could also look at yostwerks.org for details of how to reskin it by gluing pvc. I've done that with a Tyne Prefect and thought it worked very well.
Good to hear from you. We look forward to following your restoration.
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:46 pm 
recent arrival

Hi Ian, thanks for the welcome.
Yes, my canoe is by Granta. (I had a Typo) It is a Sports Tourer, Number T452 no less, which originally sold for £40 and I have the bags to go with it which was a £3 option.
After a delay in my planned refurbishment I am ready to get on with it so watch this space.
Regards,
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:52 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Really good to hear your plans to fix it up. Another member near me (Cambridgeshire), Samb, has just acquired a Granta double and is trying to work out what model and date it is. He is also looking to refurbish it and reskin it, so you might want to swap notes. His post is here if you're interested: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6731&p=36926&hilit=granta#p36926

Good luck with the restoration. If you're able to take photos and/or keep us posted on how it all goes, I know there are a good few of us who would love to learn from your experience. Maybe we can have a UK get-together of some of these historic wooden folders one of these days.

(You probably know but there is a UK branch of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association if you're interested in historic canoes/kayaks; although they are mostly in wood-canvas open canoes they seem to accept odd-balls like me showing up with old marque wood canvas folders. If you are interested then contact 'Blott' (Nick) on the Songofthepaddle.co.uk forum.)

All the best,
Ian